General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Display original year of release, not the US year of release.

I have encountered several non-US films (which seldomly have their original title in the database, another issue which might need work), which had weird release years, sometimes decades apart from its original release year, just because these films happened to have a very late US release. Please do not pick the US release year as the default release year.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add a blogging function so users can write on other film topics, right on their letterboxd profile.

Allow users to host a blog on their profile -- kind of how Facebook lets users post notes. So people could create their lists and writer reviews but also write about other film related topics like they would on their blog but it could appear on this site instead, on their profile page.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add additional commenting functionality

1. You have the list of what HTML is supported when you're adding comments...why not make clicking on one of them insert the necessary HTML element into your post so users need not write it themselves?

2. Add ability preview and edit comments for up to 10 minutes after posting.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Allow colons and slashes in the tags

That would make it easier to sort tags by name, i.e. genre: comedy, mood: light, first seen: 2012, etc. Granted, you can do that now but allowing colons would make it a lot less ugly to look at.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Prevent caching of star ratings in activity stream

If I log the action of watching a movie and attach a star rating, that rating seems to be permanent in my activity feed, even if I update it seconds later.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

There’s a subtlety here, in that the rating you attach to a review is different from one attached directly to a film. We do this to allow ratings in reviews to change over time for the same film.

We’re considering an improvement to this whereby the site would ask when rating a film whether you also want to update the rating in your most recent review, if it exists.

6. Add release data to the movie listing

Add the cinema release date and DVD release date so we can think of the time or date we watched it better.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Better Search

I searched for "Best in Show" and came up with 1000 results, the actual movie "Best in Show" didn't appear on page 1 of the results.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0218839/combined

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Allow more than one diary entry per film.

Currently, if you make an entry for a film on one day, and then attempt to enter another viewing of the same film on a different day, it updates your previous entry to the new date. If this is to reflect a true film diary, users should have the opportunity to place as many separate repeat viewings of films as they would like. Also, sometimes longer films (such as Berlin Alexanderplatz or Shoah) are rather lengthy and often require multiple days for viewings.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. to maintain your UI and design

Letterboxd is the best designed website on movies ... I just feel it has the potential to be APPLE of "movie discovery" ... I am sure you'll be adding lot of features and information ... I dislike Imdb because I just get intimidated by the clutter on the website ... good luck

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Don't drop TMDb, find additional sources...

Unlike the post suggesting you find an alternative to TMDb, I would like to see you augment TMDb's feed with additional free sources such as Freebase.

No single source of data is ever reliable. What is really needed is an engine that compares the data from multiple sources and the changes to that data and compiles a 'gold master'.

Take Grizzly Man (2005) for example. This has just jumped to the top of my film list because somebody changed the release date from 2005 to 2012 in TMDb (I have fixed this). If both TMDb and Freebase had previously agreed…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

A good approach in theory, but the investment in time to implement it might not be the best use of our time. As more sites and people use TMDb, the quliaty of its data will improve. (I have a ticket in to add writers to our film listings.)

11. Improve movie logging in diary

If you forget to add when you watched the movie to a review, when you try to add that movie to your diary it shows up in the diary without the review.

Maybe you could add a button/link to log the date from your review?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. better compariosns

Loving the site in general but I find what I really like doing is seeing how my friends have rated films. You can do this but it's about 3 click from each film's page. I think on the right side bar where you have "watched By" you should maybe rather than just show the avataar of the people who's veen it to show 5 people, friends as priority and their ratings. Then have a "More" button to see all your friends's ratings or everyone's ratings.

I'd also like to be able to have at a glance ratings comparisons for actors…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Some good stuff here. We’ve toyed with inline ratings for friends on film pages, but haven’t hit on a layout which works but doesn’t busy up the page any more than it is already.

We plan to make the Diary-style layout an option for more pages (such as actors/directors) which will help with your second point.

13. Search parsing improvements

There are a small variety of synonyms that, if handled by the search feature, would make browsing movies a lot easier. Roman numerals, for instance, are treated separately from Arabic numerals, and so 'Ghostbusters 2' turns up no entries.

This is quick and minor, but also easy and rewarding.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Instant search

Show instant results while searching.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Guidelines for what each start rating represents

e.g. as you float over the star rating when you're rating a film, it gives you a guideline of what that star rating implies, like so-so, excellent, unmissable, similar to LoveFilm and Amazon.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Lists Should Have Default Sorting/Display Options

Right now it seems Lists default to show covers with any added notes not being visible until the viewer manually switches View modes (which is just a small button). I like to have my lists with a bit of substance. I'd like to see an option while creating a List to be able to default your specific list to whatever view style suits it best.

61 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  16 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Detect multiple viewings automatically and simplify viewings display

If you watch a film on March 9th and then watch it again on March 10th, the second entry should detect "I've seen this before" automatically. (I'm not sure what the purpose of that flag is.)

Additionally, the idea of a list of viewings should be attached to the general film page for your account. For example:

http://letterboxd.com/usernme/film/evolution/

might have been seen on March 9th and March 10th, but the above link will only list "Watched March 9th, 2012". The only indication that there is a second viewing is in the sidebar on the right, with "You've logged this film…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Good feedback, cheers. The genesis of the “I’ve seen this before” button is to allow you to record the fact you’ve rewatched a film for which you’ve never given Letterboxd any previous information. However, as you say, the fact it doesn’t auto-populate is confusing.

In regards to the viewing numbering, I think we could certainly collect them all in a more obvious place as you suggest. The numbering has to work in reverse order, or permalinks to reviews would change every time you logged a film.

20. Adding a link to Blogger

I have a movie blog that I do with a couple of my buddies that I would love to just be able to post my Letterboxd reviews to as well. Would it be possible to get a link by the Facebook and Twitter symbols to Blogger.com as well?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base