General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. connect with GetGlue

It would be nice if you could connect with GetGlue. If you check in to a movie, it is automatically posted as seen on your profile.

http://getglue.com/

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Match (and compare) members with similar taste

Add a match button to every profile so you can check immediately if somebody has the same taste as you.

You can use the like and/or rating of a movie to produce a list of similar movies/similar profile or a similar %.

1,804 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    48 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Change the order of loading a page (first menu's then covers)

When a page loads (like /user/films/) first all the covers load and after that all the menu's load (main profile bar and the page specific menu like: watched, reviewed, diary). It only takes a few seconds to load all the covers but it slows you down when you want to go directly to diary from the homepage. It slows down navigating through the website. (firefox 8)

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Please have a simple link that goes to your "Film Diary"

The site is gorgeous but it's way too confusing! It took me two minutes to find out where my films were, but there are like 5 pages that have the same function. Please simplify Letterbox. The idea is great but too much!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. voting on lists

Allow lists to double as polls, where if you set it so, users can vote for the order on lists.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. leverage jinni or other search or recommendation engine

It'd be cool if you integrated/api'd/partnered with something like Jinni. Where you could plug in "horror movies set in a hotel" and get a bunch of results cross referenced by your friends ratings and and movies you've watched/rated.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Promote reviews of quality and avoid a "trolling" mentality

It is always easy to be negative, especially when you are not required to justify it and looking through the "reviews" on Letterboxd I see that the vast majority are in fact comments that offer no objective reasoning. In fact they rarely even offer evidence of an intelligent understanding of what a review is supposed to be.

Many of the "reviews" consist of a single line, and so many of these single lines consist of a single negative statement.

These are simply not reviews and its clear that it is far easier and quicker to produce these faux-reviews than it…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We do have a league table for reviewers, check http://letterboxd.com/reviewers/popular/ — we’d rather not limit the length or content of reviews, however those that produce good reviews liked by more people will naturally rise on this list, and those that don’t won’t. The best idea if you’re worried about quality is to pick reviewers you like from this table, follow them, and then participate in the site via your Activity stream, rather than by looking at reviews posted on individual film pages.

8. Translate web/films

In some language films' titles looks completely diferent. It would be great that you can enter the tittle of the film in other languages and set a language by default to see them.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. remove pagination on long film lists

could you use a "more" button instead to show more films (like the one that twitter used to have)?

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Collaborate on a list or watchlist

Allow a list being 'open' which then users can follow a list and add films to it. This will result in much more list activity and complete film lists.

Take for example http://letterboxd.com/pablos/list/special-powers/. I can easily add 10 more movies without any effort to make the list more complete.

Optional: to demotivate abuse, submitted films must be allowed by the list owner before being added.

624 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    41 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. add posters to the autocomplete search suggestions

It would make it much quicker to find the film you want if the autocomplete results had the poster next to them. You wouldn't need to rely on just the date.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Enter Date Manually in Field

Rather than having to use the date picker, would it be possible to type the date in the field?

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Good suggestion. It’s funny, for a long time that field only accepted type input, but the date picker has removed that ability. We’ll take a look at this. (Note, you can click the month/year button to quickly find other months/years.)

13. Default view of lists...

Could ( or should, I suppose ) the default view of any lists include notes made about individual items within the list? At the moment when you click on a list you only see the films and must click on a symbol (the same one used for reviews elsewhere on the site ) to see any notes relating to the list. I think it would be nice to read the list as a whole - The intro text, each film and the attached notes.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Play instantly on netflix

A link to launch the netflix streaming player (when available)... or buy from amazon or iTunes.

Monetize and make instantly watching the movie easy!

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You can add to your Netflix instant queue right now, by authing with Netflix on the Edit Settings page. We plan to improve our Netflix handling so it knows availability ahead of time. iTunes links are in the action menu on a poster, Amazon coming soon!

15. Email reviews

In lieu of a proper mobile app, I'd like to be able to submit reviews via email. I like email because I can write on my phone while in the Tube on my way back from the cinema, where there's no phone signal.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Suggest/recommend a movie to a friend

I imagine some kind of inbox or notification system where you can receive suggests from your friends. The film menu you see on mouse over can get an extra option "Suggest to friend..."

758 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  23 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Tag films, directors, actors and studios in reviews/comments

When I'm writing a review, I often want to reference other films the director has made or an actor has starred in. In the review dialogue there's now way to do this as far as I can tell.

Is it possible to have tags like on the individual movie page that would show other films? Maybe it could be a button that opens a list of actors/directors, so as not to take up too much room.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Find films by date

Make it possible for users to find films by date released, specifically "just released" and "coming soon" films. Having a "just released" section on the "Films" page would be awesome.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. add filters for "seen" or "on watchlist" on lists

I made a list based on a series of reviews on AVclub.com. Some of these films I have already seen and some are on my watchlist. It would be nice to have the option to show only those that I haven't seen yet or am not yet planning to watch

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Make the development roadmap public

Or find some other way to tell your users when certain features are coming.

A company blog also goes a long way into giving users some insight in the development.

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base