General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Sync my watched movies with Facebook.

Allot of mt friends still don't have of want Letterboxd. (It's a shame). Facebook released a new movie section.

Is it possible to push my watched movies to that facebook section?

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Auto Rewatch of movies

Well, i'm not sure i understood the rewatch button, well i guess for movies we've seen long time ago and we didn't know the date, it would be great, but is there a chance to see a feature kind of when the movie is already logged in the diary, the "rewatched" button is by default checked, or just removed so automatically the movie is logged twice and more.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Expose the film-third-party DIV on the mobile site

The links work on iOS devices. From my iPad using the full site, the URL handlers for the iTunes app and Netflix app work appropriately. My iPhone uses the mobile site, where these third party links are hidden. I can't think of a reason why. I would totally LOVE to start watching a film in the Netflix app on my iPhone just by clicking a link, rather than switching apps and searching for it.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Private accounts (and/or private Reviews, Diary Entries and Ratings)

I'd like the option if keeping my account private, like how Twitter handles private accounts.

1,166 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    94 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re thinking more about this now that our API is nearing.

In the meantime, note that you can block any member from following you or posting comments on your content (look for the Flag icon on the member’s page).

5. Importer applies ratings without marking films as watched

imdb ratings import should update the profile front page of films, not merely be added to the list, or there should be an option to populate the watched list with films from other lists. Right now, it says I've watched 2 films and rated 203 films. Doesn't make sense, and I want them to show on the profile front.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a bug, applying ratings should always change the watched status for a film. We’ll get this fixed.

Note there is an optional link on the import page to mark imported films as watched, so you could use this to correct the issue.

6. Expand Review Window

Right now the window that pops up when you review a movie is tiny. You can expand the actual space your write in but that won't change the outer area and you're left having to awkwardly scroll around while writing your review. It makes writing anything more than a paragraph a bit annoying and you either have to deal with it or open up something like MS Word to type your review then copy/paste it over.

It'd be nice to be able to increase the size of the outer window (blue area) so we can easily read/write our review.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Editing an entry in the diary should not re-direct you to the film's page

When editing entries in the diary to add tags, edit reviews or ratings, and after saving the entry, you end up on the film's page (though the diary url curiously remains). You first have to reload the page to get back to your diary. This makes quickly editing anything more than a single entry a big pain. I don't see why this behavior exists in the first place.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Follow/Subscribe to a List, Actor, Director, Studio or Tag

Besides liking a list, I think it would be nice if you can follow a list. Some lists will change or grow over time and it would be nice if people get a notification in their activity of it when they choose to follow a list.

936 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  31 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. implement a better system for linking posters from TMDb.

I have added many, many films to TMDb. I always add an image for the movie poster. When waiting for the film to show up on Letterboxd, or forcing the conversion with the URL import, it seems like about the image only imports about half the time. A blank box is really unsightly. I understand the necessity for allowing only one permanent image, but the import system isn't working correctly if I've created the TMDb page, and have uploaded an image, before I even import the data to Letterboxd.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. make it easier to navigate through complete database of films

I saw in other feedback that you've responded to, that you can navigate through your complete film database by year. I went to the 'Films' tab and cannot find a way to do that.

Also as others have suggested, have your film database listed and be able to sort through genre, director, alphabetical, year, user rating, etc.
    This would make it much faster to cycle through and add films i've watched, as well as formulating better lists.

Thanks and keep up the great work. I love the site so far - the diary aspect is wonderful and aesthetically it looks…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Let us browse the new films added to the database

Like it says, whether they're new releases or older films that users have added to TMDB, I think it would be pretty useful to see what has just been added to the site. It might also allow you to happen across stuff you had forgotten about or stuff that you are just interested in seeing.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Sort ratings by release

User's watched tab can be sorted by release, but when I want to then see what they think of for instance, films released last year, and I go to the ratings tab, it's not an option to sort by release date.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Toggle between "Grid View" and "List View" for pages other than Lists

I would like to be able to view the Watchlist as text as opposed to just the current movie posters.

While this problem could also be solved by the "Export Our Data to a Standard File Format" suggestion, I think this would nonetheless still be a nice addition to the Watchlist feature.

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. show followers ratings

When you are on a film page, you can see "Your friends who have watched [title of movie]". That opens the list of friends with a few columns including the heart. I would love to see their ratings here, as well as a link to their review of this film if they have one. Here is why it is important to have this information here.

The natural flow is to see that someone reviewed or rated a film you haven't seen. You may read their review, and then take a look at the film page. Now you are interested in…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Display original year of release, not the US year of release.

I have encountered several non-US films (which seldomly have their original title in the database, another issue which might need work), which had weird release years, sometimes decades apart from its original release year, just because these films happened to have a very late US release. Please do not pick the US release year as the default release year.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Search parsing improvements

There are a small variety of synonyms that, if handled by the search feature, would make browsing movies a lot easier. Roman numerals, for instance, are treated separately from Arabic numerals, and so 'Ghostbusters 2' turns up no entries.

This is quick and minor, but also easy and rewarding.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Adding links in comments should be simpler

It would be great if we could copy/paste links to other letterboxd pages in comments.

The other day I was commenting and need to post a link to one of my lists. I copy/pasted it and it didn't work. People tried helping with how to do this and it turned into a huge effort (see the results here: http://letterboxd.com/lise/list/sunday-mornings-with-coffee/#comment-16751 ).

If copy/paste can't be achieved for some reason, perhaps indicate the way to insert links at on the page footer where you have About, etc. by including something like:
    To insert a link, type <a hred ...etc

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Include year in title hover pop-up

I'd love to see the movie's year when you hover over a poster along with the title. Makes it easier to know if you're looking at the right movie without going to the full page if the poster is ambiguous.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Edit activity history

I "Liked" a review by accident. Now, even though I unliked it, my feed still suggests otherwise. Unless I missed it, it would be nice to have the option to manually delete everything on my timeline.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Detect multiple viewings automatically and simplify viewings display

If you watch a film on March 9th and then watch it again on March 10th, the second entry should detect "I've seen this before" automatically. (I'm not sure what the purpose of that flag is.)

Additionally, the idea of a list of viewings should be attached to the general film page for your account. For example:

http://letterboxd.com/usernme/film/evolution/

might have been seen on March 9th and March 10th, but the above link will only list "Watched March 9th, 2012". The only indication that there is a second viewing is in the sidebar on the right, with "You've logged this film…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Good feedback, cheers. The genesis of the “I’ve seen this before” button is to allow you to record the fact you’ve rewatched a film for which you’ve never given Letterboxd any previous information. However, as you say, the fact it doesn’t auto-populate is confusing.

In regards to the viewing numbering, I think we could certainly collect them all in a more obvious place as you suggest. The numbering has to work in reverse order, or permalinks to reviews would change every time you logged a film.

• Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base