General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Bug? Reviews not displayed in diary

My 4 most recently viewed films are not displaying the "review" icon next to them in Diary mode. I think the problem is that the film is being logged twice: once when I said I viewed it on this date, and then again when I add my review. Perhaps only the first instance (without the review) is being shown in the diary?

It would be good if the review link showed up in the diary regardless of when it was logged. It's the only clear indicator we have of films we have or have yet to review.

In fact, it…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You can add a review to a log entry after the fact. If you go back to an existing log entry, you’ll see an option to Edit it/Add a review. This is the preferred method for sure.

To fix your diary, you could copy your reviews onto the original log entries and then delete the duplicate entries.

In future we might ask you if you wish to add a review to an existing diary entry at the time you submit it, I guess this would help?

2. Search parsing improvements

There are a small variety of synonyms that, if handled by the search feature, would make browsing movies a lot easier. Roman numerals, for instance, are treated separately from Arabic numerals, and so 'Ghostbusters 2' turns up no entries.

This is quick and minor, but also easy and rewarding.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Adding links in comments should be simpler

It would be great if we could copy/paste links to other letterboxd pages in comments.

The other day I was commenting and need to post a link to one of my lists. I copy/pasted it and it didn't work. People tried helping with how to do this and it turned into a huge effort (see the results here: http://letterboxd.com/lise/list/sunday-mornings-with-coffee/#comment-16751 ).

If copy/paste can't be achieved for some reason, perhaps indicate the way to insert links at on the page footer where you have About, etc. by including something like:
    To insert a link, type <a hred ...etc

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Background colour of user comments and reviews

User comments and reviews on white background would be nicer, or at least an option to change the colour as I find reading text on dark background unwelcoming and tiring. Overall graphic design of the site is excellent, literally just the user comments I'd like to see easier to read.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. make a more costumable main index page.

i.e. I find it quite annoying to get to my diary and would love to have a direct link on the landing page.
    #firstworldproblem

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. A way of seeing reviews that is NOT based on popularity.

Could you implement a way to see reviews that's NOT based on popularity? I get that there's the "just reviewed" ticker on the FILMS page, but that only shows the latest dozen reviews. I've no doubt there are people with few to no followers who are posting great stuff that just isn't getting seen. Would be great if there was a "view all" option, perhaps with the option to sort by date, or even by star rating.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Change "Films" to "My Films" under the user tab

Having "Films" under the user tab and then again on the menu bar could be confusing, could be worth changing the one under the user tab to "My Films" or something similar

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Include multiple trailers

I noticed that movies only have on trailer, and I think it'd be cool to include a list that pop ups of all the trailers of the movie from which we can choose which one to watch.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Instant search

Show instant results while searching.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Try the following ideas... :D

- Allow users to upload their own avatar.
    - Have a drop-down box for options when searching (for actors, users, films, etc.).
    - Have a word count when typing reviews.
    - Hopefully, you can share your reviews on Facebook.
    - When adding a movie to your likes, you could be able to mark it if you own the VHS/DVD/Blu-Ray.
    - Let users generate a wallpaper of their liked films.
    - Let users view their liked films in full size, standard (the current view), or icon size.
    - Allow for users to upload pictures to a personal gallery (personal film collections,…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Make reviews more obvious in the UI

At the moment, reviews look a lot like a film's description in appearance, which can make it confusing because you overlook the text of the review.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Find an alternative to TMDb

TMDb regularly gets in the way of my enjoyment of Letterboxd. My Watchlist is mostly made up of new releases. They’re added to my list when I see the trailer, which is usually in advance of their release. Nine times out of ten, TMDb doesn’t yet have the movie listed, which means I have to go through the somewhat laborious process of adding it myself, and then wait several hours for Letterboxd to be able to see it. (The same thing usually happens when I want to add a festival screening to my Film Diary.) Meanwhile, every piece of information…

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks Rob, really value this feedback. The key reason for choosing TMDb over IMDb was cost. The former is free, the latter charges a five-figure sum annually for use of its data by other apps. We haven’t ruled out switching, but as a bootstrapped project it wasn’t something we could take on from the outset.

As an aside, in the short term we plan to add a mechanism to allow instant import from TMDb by entering the ID of a new film. Until that happens feel free to drop a line to hello@letterboxd.com with any TMDb IDs you’d like imported and we’ll do them straight away. Not a perfect solution but hopefully might remove a little of the pain for you.

14. Duplicates

The movie Blade (1998) is listed twice.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Guidelines for what each start rating represents

e.g. as you float over the star rating when you're rating a film, it gives you a guideline of what that star rating implies, like so-so, excellent, unmissable, similar to LoveFilm and Amazon.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Include year in title hover pop-up

I'd love to see the movie's year when you hover over a poster along with the title. Makes it easier to know if you're looking at the right movie without going to the full page if the poster is ambiguous.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. People search categories

It would be nice to have a people search by state, city, or zip to further socializing and networking at the community level.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Edit activity history

I "Liked" a review by accident. Now, even though I unliked it, my feed still suggests otherwise. Unless I missed it, it would be nice to have the option to manually delete everything on my timeline.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. XBMC Plugin

I'd love for letterboxd to have an xbmc plugin (www.xbmc.org) which would allow to import your movie collection as well as collect seen/unseen data automatically. The option to rate a movie aftter watching it could be added too! Take a look at www.trakt.tv they have such a plugin and i think it would be awesome if letterboxd had something similar! Thanks
    PS I`m typing this from my couch, in font of my win7/xbmc htpc powered home theater ;)

273 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Auto-post new content to FB & Twitter

I would love to notify either my FB or my Twitter whenever I add a film to my watched list.

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

FB auto-posting is supported natively (see Settings → Connections).

Until we support Twitter natively, you can auto-post from your profile RSS feed by using IFTTT.com (search IFTTT.com’s site for Letterboxd → Twitter recipes).

• Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base