General

1. Add percentage scores in the same vein as RottenTomatoes

It'd be great to see an overall score for films. I don't suggest incorporating RT into the site but using that same idea so viewers can see an average score for each film on their respective pages.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add game like quiz/trivia about Movies

Serious movie lovers like and can show off about their knowledge in films collected over the years.
    Users can make trivia games, like lists today, about movie related info, for instance: 1st movie appearance of a famous actor, recognizing a known quote or a scene from a movie, etc...

Little trophies and badges given to winners can indicate successful and knowledgeable players (again, it's all about bragging :)).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Remodel the comment sections after Reddit.com

Look at the comment section of and link on www.reddit.com. Notice how an opinion can be easily upvoted or downvoted, depending on the level of insight. It is easy to view replies to comments and collapse reply trees.

In contrast, the rudimentary comment section on film reviews and list on Letterboxd is difficult to read through. It is hard to find the most insightful comments. It is hard to follow several different conversations. It is hard to see who is replying to whom.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Bug: toggle icons don't send current state to backend

This is applicable to the quick toggle icons on movie posters (seen and liked) as well as the do/don't gray out films I've seen toggle for lists.

STEPS TO PRODUCE
    1) Make sure films you've seen aren't grayed out in lists
    2) Go to lists page
    3) Open 2 random lists both in a new tab
    4) Go to the first list and click the toggle to gray out films you've seen

RESULT
    - Films you've seen are grayed out = GOOD.

5) Go to the second list and click the toggle to gray out films you've seen

RESULT
    -…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Stop people reviewing and liking films that haven't been released yet

Seeing this a lot of these at the moment. People using an upcoming film's page to review its trailer or to say something like "THIS IS GOING TO BE AWESOME EEEEEEEEEEK!" or some such thing.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is tricky: there are legitimate ways in which you can see a film prior to its release date (previews, test screenings, festivals, etc). We have considered adding an arbitrary window prior to a film’s release date in which you can record a watch of the film, but we need to be careful as this can encourage users to alter release dates on TMDb in order to circumvent such a measure.

7. Make some way to filter real reviews. Maybe add a 'comment' section or a 'dislike' button.

Too many high rated 'reviews' are some comedic quip and not actual reviews at all.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. allow posting to Tumblr

You have Twitter and Facebook.... but I really want to share to my Tumblr! Shouldn't be too hard to implement..

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Add page numbers to reviews when sorted.

Or something that allows one to quickly jump to the other end. I often sort reviews by rating, and am usually most curious about the negative reviews. But currently there's no way to get to them except to keep hitting "next," which can be tedious for films with many reviews. A list of page numbers (1...2...3...12) would be helpful.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow filter by rating

I want to commiserate with others who hated The Avengers but I can't stand clicking through all the pages of 5 star raters. I want to find others who gave it 1 or 2 or 3 stars.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Community Events

I'm currently participating in the 2nd Letterboxd Festival and I just thought that there has to be a better way of organising such activities.

It would be great if there was some function which would (1) allow people to discuss openly about the festival and the films, and (2) be in a single list/page format, instead of being forced to use multiple lists. These events could be organised by users, or even administrators, allowing community-wide participation and interaction.

Festivals are a big part of film culture, and it would be a great way to Letterboxd to differentiate itself as not…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Follow/Subscribe to a List, Actor, Director, Studio or Tag

Besides liking a list, I think it would be nice if you can follow a list. Some lists will change or grow over time and it would be nice if people get a notification in their activity of it when they choose to follow a list.

990 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  31 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. "Tell me about myself"

It would be really cool if you could compile all the data from our ratings, and tell us things about ourselves that we may not know.
    Example: Jack Nicholson is your favorite actor, you've given his films the highest rating.
    Or: Your favorite cinematographer is Janusz Kaminski based on your ratings.

Wouldn't that be neat?

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Improving the list notes dialogue box

When I was adding notes to my list, I found that the notes field was not activated what the pop-up dialogue appeared. As a result, i'd always have to click on the field to activate it. It would be awesome if there was automatic activation of the field, so that I could start typing immediately once the box came up. Would make things a lot smoother when adding notes in bulk (:

Also, would it be possible to add a next / previous function to the list notes editor? Would make it a lot more streamlined than having to click…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Have an area for people's recommended reviewers

I'm thinking of something along the lines of the "Crew Picks" section under the Lists menu. An optional space on a user's profile where he/she can pick their 3 or 5 favourite reviewers that they follow. I think this will encourage their followers to visit these other profiles and strengthen the social aspects of the site.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Start tracking people who are creating multiple accounts

I've seen evidence that some members are creating sock puppet accounts to 'like' their reviews and bump up their popularity and profile on the site. Is this practice going to be traced?

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Blog post export

Similar to Goodreads, provide an HTML copyable export of the review (with links back to the Letterboxd review and other reviews by the author) that can be pasted into a blog entry.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Facebook profile pic

Why dont you enable the possibility of using ones facebook profile pic?`
    Especially in germany not that many people are actually using twitter.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Narrow down the films lists of others

When looking for new movie ideas via the film lists of others, it would be handy to narrow down the list simultaneously through multiple categories such as:

1) unwatched movies: movies in their list that I've seen disappear, leaving only new movies for me to discover!

2) descriptors like year, user rating, genre, actor/director/writer, country, tags etc

So if I'm looking through another user's list to find foreign films from the 1960s they've rated 4 stars or higher that I haven't seen, I would be able to.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1) There’s an option to hide films you’ve seen when browsing others’ accounts (the eye with the line through it) — they fade out rather than being removed, as removal reaks havoc with pagination.

2) You can sort lists in most places by release date and rating. We have yet to add filtering to reduce lists.

• Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base