General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Allow sorting of filtered search results

For example, if I perform a search for "underrated", then filter by Lists, I would like to be able to order the results to have (say) the most popular results come at the top. This would be a very useful function.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Find an alternative to TMDb

TMDb regularly gets in the way of my enjoyment of Letterboxd. My Watchlist is mostly made up of new releases. They’re added to my list when I see the trailer, which is usually in advance of their release. Nine times out of ten, TMDb doesn’t yet have the movie listed, which means I have to go through the somewhat laborious process of adding it myself, and then wait several hours for Letterboxd to be able to see it. (The same thing usually happens when I want to add a festival screening to my Film Diary.) Meanwhile, every piece of information…

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks Rob, really value this feedback. The key reason for choosing TMDb over IMDb was cost. The former is free, the latter charges a five-figure sum annually for use of its data by other apps. We haven’t ruled out switching, but as a bootstrapped project it wasn’t something we could take on from the outset.

As an aside, in the short term we plan to add a mechanism to allow instant import from TMDb by entering the ID of a new film. Until that happens feel free to drop a line to hello@letterboxd.com with any TMDb IDs you’d like imported and we’ll do them straight away. Not a perfect solution but hopefully might remove a little of the pain for you.

3. Hide rewatched films in diary view

When I'm on my diary, and I look through all the films I've watched this year, I wish that there was a way of hiding all films that I've rewatched this year. This would allow me to view all the films that I've watched for the first time this year. Shouldn't be too hard to implement, and would make all the difference. That way, people wouldn't have to make lists like this:
    http://letterboxd.com/ptabro/list/dear-diary-jun-2013/

Hope to see this feature soon.

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This isn’t a high priority feature for us to add. But, if it’s important, you can use tags to achieve it. If you add a “first watch” tag to every applicable diary entry, you can then view your “first watch” tag in diary mode to see only these films.

4. Savable Review Drafts

I think it be great if you guys made it possible to save drafts of reviews. I find myself starting a review but not having time to finish it or wanting more time with it and then saving it to my computer else where. It be a lot easier if you could just save a draft on letterboxd and then come back later and finish the review.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. See your films ranked by amount of times watched

When on the Films area, have an option to sort them by the amount of times you have logged a film on Letterboxd while also having the number included underneath the poster of the film! Would make it a lot easier to work out which films we've all been watching the most!

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Improve GoWatchIt matching algorithm

There are a number of titles that letterboxd gets wrong when using the gowatchit service filter option. For instance, navigating to the "Okja" page and clicking "More services" under the "Watch" banner, the page from gowatchit lists the title as "Oka!" which is an entirely different movie. This explains why "Okja" does not show up on the Netflix service filter in letterboxd, even though it is a Netflix original.

Those names are similar enough, but it also makes some nonsensical errors - "The Human Surge" links to a movie called "The Lovers and the Despot". There are many more examples.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Website  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add the ability to sort by list size

Lists are a great way to find similar/related films, but the function has been overrun by lists such as "2015 Films, Ranked"-- lists that are more about the user than the film. These lists may serve a purpose but when I'm looking at an obscure film with 95 "rank" lists and only 5 related to the actual content of the film, it's very frustrating.

Of course it's not feasible to ask users to mark their lists as such. Sorting by list size (smallest to largest) would be an elegant way to push the smaller, more thoughtfully curated lists to the…

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Limit The Number Of People You Can Follow In A Day

I've been getting A LOT of new followers lately who are just doing mass follows. They are literally following HUNDREDS of other members all within the same hour just because they are trying to get their own follower numbers up with follow backs. I've even noticed that some of these unscrupulous people are then doing unfollows soon after.

This, of course, goes against the spirit of a social media site. People doing these mass follows aren't interested in you or discovering if you have common interests. What they ARE doing is going through 'Like' lists of movie reviews found on…

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. "Show Only Short Films" Filter

Could you add a function to filter only short films? There is already a Hide Short Films filter, so I imagine the reverse is easy to make (hopefully). The reason it would be useful is because I would like to go through my watchlist and sort the short films by average rating, popularity, alphabetical, etc. but at the moment I can only find the short films that way by sorting "shortest first". I think many other people would find it useful as well, though short films are still much less popular than feature lengths on Letterboxd.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Select and delete multiple flims from Watchlist

Allow us to select and remove all or multiple flims from watch list, right now I have to click on films individually.

Thanks

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Disallow reviews and ratings from being created until a film is released, be it at a festival, screening, theatrical, or otherwise.

While you can't stop people who haven't seen a film from rating and reviewing it, films should be "locked" until its first screening, be it at a film festival or a premiere. e.g. a film that isn't released until June should not have any ratings or reviews prior to its release date unless an early screening can be verified.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Website  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Mubi Users Looking for New Home

I'm speaking for a group of users who are dissatisfied with Mubi's new redesign and are looking for a new cinephile home. The general consensus is that Letterboxd would be the ideal place if only there was some functionality to allow for communication between members (ie.- ability to post on user profile pages). Do you guys have anything in the works to facilitate this? Thanks.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We don’t have specific plans for direct messaging right now, but our medium-term plan does include some group functionality that we’d like to talk more with the community about when the time comes.

13. Stop ratings and reviews for unreleased movies

As simple as that, open this settings only a couple days/weeks before the actual launch.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Reorder films logged on the same day

On the same day, I might watch film x and then film y, in that order. However, if I log film y first, the order in my diary will have them as y and then x, even though I watched x first. I think it would be a convenient feature to be able to reorganise the order of films logged under a given date in the diary view.

For example, I have found evidence that I watched a film on a day in 2015 that I forgot to log at the time. There was another film I logged on that…

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Website  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow users to delete their own comments whenever they want, not just a short time after posting

I need to delete some pretty angry comments and can't. And what if your opinion changes on something and you want to delete the comment to reflect that?

Have been emailing/tweeting you to help me do that and no response.

Thanks.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Notify users when a title is removed from Letterboxd

Letterboxd needs to implement an automated system that can notify users when a film they have watched, logged or added to a list is removed from the website.

Sometimes, titles are removed from Letterboxd only to be added back, such as the 'Kenzo World' commercial. If I remember correctly, several hundred viewers had logged the ad when it first released on YouTube, including myself. It was only when I downloaded my Letterboxd archive that I noticed the film's URL field in the .csv file was empty, meaning it had probably been removed from Letterboxd at some point and was no…

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Website  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Sort by director's name

It would be nice if we can sort the movies included in a list also by director's name.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Website  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. A Showcase Feature for profiles

A showcase feature would be awesome!
    If you added a showcase feature, similar to Steam, where all users can showcase their favourite reviews and favourite lists on the front page of their profile, it'd be awesome. The 'Popular Reviews' showcase is great but sometimes you want to feature the best review you've written on your profile rather than your most popular. for example my 'Drive' review has the most likes but its a very poorly written review from like a year ago and I'd much rather feature my longer write-ups that didn't get much attention when I first published them.…

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Better syncing with posters from TMBd

Too often Letterboxd doesn't reflect what's currently the default poster (highest rated and in English) on TMBd. Despite that changes happen to posters on TMBd, it more often than not doesn't get reflected on Letterboxd.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have different poster rules from TMDb, so we prefer to lock posters once films gain a level of popularity, to ensure long-term consistency.

We prefer original theatrical posters over DVD covers, which often get upvoted over there. If there is a theatrical release poster on TMDb that’s better than our one, we’ll often change it: please use the Report facility on the film and let us know.

• Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base