I suggest you ...

Allow users to upload a profile picture without Twitter or Gravatar

Please allow users the option to upload an avatar/profile picture without having to connect a Twitter (I don't have a Twitter, for example) or create a Gravatar account. Uploading profile photos directly to an account is a simple feature that most all other social media platforms allow!

285 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still no updates on this after a year? I won't be renewing my Pro service then.

• Ron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really hope this happens soon, it's absolutely baffling that they don't have this option.

• michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Basic functionality to upload our own profile pic, and not from some sister/partner site like twitter or whatever the other one is called, that I have never heard of before.

this should have been available Day 1, especially to individuals are paying for the membership. Even a crappy/free messageboard forum allows this.

is it because you want to save money by not hosting a gazillion of profile pics? thanks for your time, regards.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why aren't we able to upload an image to the website without creating an account elsewhere? I created a Gravatar account and immediately deleted it once I found out that it created an account for me on a different website without me knowing about it.
        Why can't I just upload an image to a site as my avatar? That's one of the most basic functions websites have nowadays.

• Estelle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For those who don't use or don't want to use twitter connection, let the possibility to add a profile picture from the app

If you don't want to sign up to Gravatar and Wordpress, you can simply upload an image from your computer and use it as your profile picture.

• Ernie Waterson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Letterboxd team! First, I'd like to say how much I love this site! I'm pretty new, but its already my favorite platform for sharing my opinion on movies. My only complaint is that I can't use an avatar other than the one from a linked social media account. I have a twitter, but it's not one that I'd like associated with my Letterboxd account. If you could allow the option of using an avatar specifically for Letterboxd, that would be great. Thanks, and keep up the great work!

• Piet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, forcing people to use the horrible Gravatar or to link your twitter account is pretty absurd.

I dont have twitter or gravatar but I'd like to edit my profile (picture) without connecting it to my other accounts whatsoever. I like to keep my accounts not connected to each other. It wouldnt be that much work to do this, wont it?

Please allow an internal option to upload an avatar. Virtually all other social media sites have this option. I was shocked when I was unable to on Letterboxd. It makes no sense not to be able to do this. I don't want Twitter, I don't even know or want to know what Gravatar is.

I want a profile picture, and I want to do it just with having Letterboxd. I shouldn't have to leave the Letterboxd website in order to have an avatar.

I will never create a Twitter or a Gravatar, so unless a feature is built within Letterboxd, my profile picture will forever be grey.

I can't even express how much sense this doesn't make, but I'm trying.

Why would you force your users to use a potential competitor to have an avatar? Is Letterboxd owned by Twitter and Gravatar or something?

Please implement this. It's an important feature that all other social media sites have for their users. Why would Letterboxd not? Letterboxd is missing a really important feature of social media by not having this.

Yeah I'm in agreement here. It's absolutely incomprehensibly bizarre to make users go to another (potentially a competitor) social media site just in order to upload a little 2KB avatar.

It's completely and utterly counterintuitive and nonsensical. It almost makes me not want to use letterboxd just because of how silly and frustrating it is to not be able to have an avatar because I don't want to give my social media time to another website...

• Rute Cunha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please. I don't have Twitter or intend to, I've never even considered it. It's so lame to have a grey anon profile picture; it makes you look like you're not to be taken seriously on the website. It's very limited that way, at least you could let us add one from G+ or FB, since it has more people in it.

• Damian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You're going to stamp this with DECLINED but I'm going to suggest it anyway: don't make people link their Twitter or go to some lame 3rd-party site just to upload a photo.

• Finn C. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know allowing users to use custom avatars isn't up for discusssion, but I would love to at least be able to use my Gravatar even though I've already linked my Twitter to my Letterboxd!

• Dannon Loveland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to be able to use my Gravitar profile photo rather than my Twitter... or even upload my own photo.

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow the upload of custom avatars -- I saw that this was previously declined, but I don't understand the reasoning. A lot of folks would rather not link accounts, whether it's twitter, facebook, or what-have you, to have a custom avatar. I don't have a gravatar account, and I'd rather not sign up for some service for the sole purpose of changing an avatar on another site.

I was wondering if we could soon possibly get the ability to change our avatar's by uploading a picture we have saved. I would like to be able to change it without having to resort to "gravitars" or connecting a site to my twitter. Another thing I was wondering is if it is (or will be?) possible to post pictures on the site, through an HTML or IMG code.

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base