I suggest you ...

one time lists import

I understand that IMDB etc list importing is a pro feature, and that makes sense, to a point. However, it is the fastest way for a new user to become a fully integrated user in the shortest amount of time. I think it would make more sense to use a model wherein you could import a list or set of lists one time, perhaps all within a 24 hour period of signing up, without requiring a pro membership, and any additional lists after then would need to be done through pro? I've got well over a thousand films on IMDB, and while I am grateful for the improvements this site makes over the functionality of that one, and eager to make ready use of said functionality here, I am only likely to import from other sites once, when I first begin to use this one, which is far sooner than I'm willing to commit to paying for any service. Until it has all of my movies in it in the first place, it would be difficult for me to see it working well enough to decide whether to support the paid version or not.

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Gypsy Darkness shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ahmed Elsankary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I registered today and thought of the same idea. It would be great if I entered my history, then started to log my movies freshly in a daily basis. Please give priority for this feature to be added as soon as possible.

• AdminMatthew Buchanan (Admin, Letterboxd) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We agree with that point, but there’s also no need to pull in your entire history right from the outset. You can begin using Letterboxd, get comfortable with it, then upgrade and import later to complete your account if you wish. We figure if you like us enough to want to import, that’s worth the small fee to be Pro.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Requiring new users to pay right from the start is indeed a deal breaker. How can you expect a new user to commit to a website they don't know? As for me, I'll unregister now, and stick to more sensible services.

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base