I suggest you ...

Comment control including ability to close/disable comments

I think letterboxd users should be able to control on who comments on their reviews. There's a lot of bitter angry people who get mad when they read something they don't like and I, and many others, don't like being attacked. So maybe a control on who comments on your reviews? Like, a toggle option 'only people you follow can comment on your reviews'? I'm not sure if that would be difficult to do or not. Or the ability to delete others comments from our reviews. I don't like having to constantly report a comment I don't like waiting for a moderator to delete it, ya know? Also we should be able to constantly edit our comments it shouldn't be like a 10 minute window to edit or you're stuck with that. Because I personally am slow and don't catch all my typos and look like boo boo the fool 20 minutes later.

41 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  AdminMatthew Buchanan (Admin, Letterboxd) responded  · 

We have considered a few options in consultation with members, and our solution to preventing members posting comments (and removing all comments from a member) is to Block the member on their profile page.

Blocking was recently upgraded so if you block a member, their comments are removed from all of your content, for you and anyone who visits it.

We’re happy with the 15-minute edit window on comments, and in extreme cases you can use the report function to have your own comments removed beyond this window.

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Zak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any way to make it so you can delete someone's comments without blocking them? I don't dislike the person, I just don't want one of their BS comments on my review.

• Leth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A feature that allows for comments to be disabled on be lists would be useful. I've reported comments on a few lists of mine to get rid of them but I'd rather not have to and even so when I do that it shows that there have been comments that have been deleted. I think it would be a nice addition and useful for to be able to disable comments altogether. This could go for reviews as well as another user pointed out but that was 2013 and its still the same.

• Chicken bastard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about a check box on each review that allows us to decide whether or not people can comment or not.yeah, social network etc but I like to log films/review without having to interact with the terrible community on this site. The site itself is great but the popular users take it way too seriously and I'd say more if I didn't have to converse with these idiots.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about give us the option to choose who comments on our content.

EG
        Only people you follow can comment,
        Only people who follow you can comment
        Anyone an comment
        No one can comment.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have the useful tool that already allows for the blocking of reviews that contain spoilers from the activity stream, I would like something that goes a step further and either auto blocks comments on reviews for films you haven't seen, or a toggle button in your profile that gives you the choice of turning the viewing of comments on/off for reviews of films you haven't seen.

Some details for films I haven't yet seen have been spoiled by inadvertently viewing comments in my activity stream, and I'm sure I'm not the only one this has happened to.

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base