I suggest you ...

Bulk tag editing and other enhancements

After obsessively adding/sorting/erasing/rewriting tags, I had a few suggestions I thought might improve their general function. I'm aware that some of these ideas might be impossibly complicated to implement, so this is more of a dream wish list:

- Tag Editing: Rather than only create or delete tags, enable an editing function. It'd make things easier for correcting spelling errors or reclassifying tags that have been used hundreds of times.

- Tag Folders: Allow users to subdivide tags into separate groups if they see fit. For example, I might discretely classify certain tags as 'genre', 'mood', 'actors', or 'miscellaneous', retaining 'all' as a default folder. This might aid those who wish to search through users with thousands of tags.

- Tag Clustering: Allow users to select multiple tags in conjunction that will return film results bearing said tags. At the moment, I can select one tag and it displays all of the films with that tag. Through this method, I would be able to select tags for 'horror', 'comedy', and 'vampire' from someone's tag database, and that might display a group including 'What We Do in the Shadows', 'Dracula Dead and Loving It', and 'Once Bitten'. I think this might encourage tag use for the sake of manually generating recommendations.

- Global Tags: For users who wish to participate, allow their tags to be aggregated along with the movies. For example, if the most common user tag applied to 'La La Land' was 'overrated', it would appear along with some of the most common user generated tags on the film's page. Users who wish to add some or all of these particular tags to their review would then simply click them. This might aid in streamlining a basic vocabulary of user tags throughout the site, and could potentially be used to generate trending topics.

Another oblique version of this might include the ability for users to add tags to a specific movie based off of another user's tags. For example, a friend has tagged 'Moonlight' as 'slice of life'. By clicking that tag on *their* review, I can choose to add it to *my* review.

236 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Bryan Way shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

39 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Brent Blackwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This remains the most useful proposed feature that's missing. Making tagging more powerful would be an incredible addition, even if it were a Pro feature. It'd certainly be worth the money.

• 심비아니 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lack of mass / bulk editing was a reason I lost interest too, even tho I *love* the site's concept, soon after discovering LB in 2016. The ability to edit a tag directly on our "tags page" would be amazing! Still looking forward to the possibility, two years later.. xoxo

• Sam Morgan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I’m trying to set up a Letterboxd account but says my email is invalid and doesn’t allow me to set it up?

• Aam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there really still no option to tag multiple movies at once? I stopped using the site for months because of the lack of mass edit features. If you're a new user or haven't kept up with your films it's entirely too tedious to bother at all.

• Podcasting's Brock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd love an option to batch/group tag all the entries on a list with the same tag. To have to go into 100 movies and individually tag each one on that list would be tedious.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sometimes I want to delete a whole tag. It would great if I could do that through the Tags page rather than having to go through each individual entry.

Love you guys. Love this site. Thank you!

• Tony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about the ability to convert a tag into a list? When I'm logging movies, I tag them, then can go look at the tag with everything in it. A "make this into a list" button would be nice.

• Spencer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to add many films to a list at once, instead of individually, would be very helpful (i.e. sorting your watched films by year and then creating a list of those).

• Santiago Mendez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A simple way to add all the movies on any given list, to your watchlist. The option to add them one by one is there of course, but sometimes you might want to add them all.

• Adriii commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if we could also bulk edit tags so you don't have to do it one at a time.

• Florin Stan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An option would be available on a director/actor's page to create a list containing that director/actor's entire body of work, currently listed on their page. This would be great for those who want to do ranked lists of a director/actor's films as it would save them considerable time by not having to add all films one by one.

• Ian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

New to film and need to catch up. Would love to be able to go to a director's page or actors page and bulk add all their movies to my watchlist with a single click. Any of the movies i have already listed as seeing would be ignored.

My fingers are cramping trying to add each Morgan Freeman movie! Thanks

• Adbi Ahmed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You see an list of 135 awesome movies, 30 of which you’ve seen, but all of which you’d very much like to see. How do you add the remaining 105 to your watchlist? You guys should add a button for that. “Add all unseen movies to watchlist” or something like that.

Is there a feature that allows me to make a new list in one swoop from all the movies I have seen in a certain genre or decade? I have seen 115 movies on Letterboxd in the Horror genre (way more than I had expected, not my genre at all I thought) and wanted to share that insight...

when watching a list (now im watching the new 80s list) it might be a good option to add all the movies in the list to your watch list with a single button

• Maciej commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if we could assign and edit tags for a batch of movies at the same time: rename existing tag, remove tag from a group of selected films, add a tag to a group of selected films.

• Daniel Pergamo Pilon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be a good feature to create lists based on a person filmography. This would help people that build rankings from directors, actors etc.

← Previous 1

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base