Bulk tag editing and other enhancements
After obsessively adding/sorting/erasing/rewriting tags, I had a few suggestions I thought might improve their general function. I'm aware that some of these ideas might be impossibly complicated to implement, so this is more of a dream wish list:
- Tag Editing: Rather than only create or delete tags, enable an editing function. It'd make things easier for correcting spelling errors or reclassifying tags that have been used hundreds of times.
- Tag Folders: Allow users to subdivide tags into separate groups if they see fit. For example, I might discretely classify certain tags as 'genre', 'mood', 'actors', or 'miscellaneous', retaining 'all' as a default folder. This might aid those who wish to search through users with thousands of tags.
- Tag Clustering: Allow users to select multiple tags in conjunction that will return film results bearing said tags. At the moment, I can select one tag and it displays all of the films with that tag. Through this method, I would be able to select tags for 'horror', 'comedy', and 'vampire' from someone's tag database, and that might display a group including 'What We Do in the Shadows', 'Dracula Dead and Loving It', and 'Once Bitten'. I think this might encourage tag use for the sake of manually generating recommendations.
- Global Tags: For users who wish to participate, allow their tags to be aggregated along with the movies. For example, if the most common user tag applied to 'La La Land' was 'overrated', it would appear along with some of the most common user generated tags on the film's page. Users who wish to add some or all of these particular tags to their review would then simply click them. This might aid in streamlining a basic vocabulary of user tags throughout the site, and could potentially be used to generate trending topics.
Another oblique version of this might include the ability for users to add tags to a specific movie based off of another user's tags. For example, a friend has tagged 'Moonlight' as 'slice of life'. By clicking that tag on *their* review, I can choose to add it to *my* review.
Daniel Pergamo Pilon commented
It would be a good feature to create lists based on a person filmography. This would help people that build rankings from directors, actors etc.
The tagging support has several things that are annoying. The system is inconsistent in the support for Mixed Case in tags, which means that if you f.e. tag with the city you saw it in you very quickly end up getting the city names with both small case and Mixed Case in the suggestions. It seems they get forced to all small depending on the position of the tag, the first tag is always all small.
I'd also really, really like the possibility to delete a tag globally, change a tag globally and to tag a group of movies at the same time. If you have 100+ movies in your diary and decide to add a tag the time spent adding it can quickly get out of hand.
A button that will add all films from a list to your watchlist.
@Brian Note that you can remove tags, but you need to do it by editing each review that they're included on individually.
Brian Lokker commented
Deleting and editing tags would be really helpful. I have tags that I added when I first joined the site that make no sense. But now I'm stuck with them.
Leonardo De Miranda Borba commented
I need this feature. I would finally have all the films of my list in a single watchlist.
Add my vote to the list. Was surprised to find that tags cannot be edited or deleted.
Adam Schoales commented
I'd also love a way to manage my tags. When I first started using the site I went a little tag crazy, but now have dialled it back to the point that I no longer need four pages of tags.
What was I thinking?!
I'd love to go through and delete all those extraneous ones and focus on the ones I'm going to keep using.
Joshua Bertram commented
I second the idea of tag editing. Having the ability to go to our "tags" page, and editing a single tag (thereby modifying that tag on all the films it has been applied to) would be a great help. The more tags one gets, the more necessary it seems to be to have the option to organize them further.
Jacob Olsen commented
Yes, yes. Comparing lists is a great idea. 1. What's common in lists 1 and 2?
2. What's in L1 but not in L2, and Vice Versa. And finally maybe the option to save the 'result' into a new list, i.e. "Criterions that user A has seen that I haven't". :)
Greg Robinson commented
This suggestion should be renamed "Private Tags" and I think it might get more votes. I'd love the ability to make certain tags private so I can, for example, tag an entry with the last name of the friends I watched the movie with. Those are tags I wouldn't want the world to see, but they would be useful. How many times do you say, "What did we watch last time you were here?" It would be really easy if I could just click the (private) Tag called "Smiths" and see all the movies I watched with the Smiths. Yes, this COULD be a private list, but tagging would be much easier when entering a new Diary entry. Thanks!
On a related note, I'm going to add another suggestion: type-ahead Tag names in Diary. Sometimes it's hard to remember your tag names. If you type it wrong, it ends up creating a new (very similar but different) Tag. Type-ahead and/or a pull-down list showing existing Tags would be really convenient. Thanks again!
changing a tag globally without having to change the tag on every film that use it.
JW Hendricks commented
Would it be possible to make a feature for lists that allows us to add all the films from that particular list to our Watchlist? This would be great for lists like "Roger Ebert Great Movies" or "1000 Movies to See Before you Die"
I'd love to be able to sort my tagged movies by date watched rather than date added which are not always, in fact rarely are, the same. Also, I'd love to have a feature allowing you to edit tag terms. So if after adding 100 movies with one tag, I decide I'd prefer a slightly different tag it can be changed all at once rather than editing each movie entry.
yeah for sure, I'm getting near to 1000 films and it takes ages to click every film 2 or 3 times to select watched, liked, rating!
some kind of check box select then one click to like or watched
Bulk editing of *everything*, in a simple, non-graphical format. The graphical view is great when browsing content, but if I want to edit a list of 400 things, or change stuff, I'd be happier with a nice simple low-graphic option that responds much more quickly than the current interface. i.e. just a list of films with simple check boxes for seen, liked, etc. with a way to select multiple films in the list and turn those check boxes on and off.
Mark Dunne commented
I agree with this. When marking films as seen or "like" it would be nice to be able to wiew them in a list with the seen, like, go to film page as seperate icons beside the films description/poster.
As it is now you need to click on each poster then click on the seen and like buttons. It's a little annoying
I imported my Netflix films as "films I've seen" but didn't want them in the diary section. I can't bulk delete these films from the diary and doing it one by one for hundreds of films is painful.
Sjoerd van den Berg commented
Sometimes I just have seen all movies on the list.
So it would be great to just press ONE button.
Why not share tags, so every movie i select i can opt to use public tags or my private tags, i might have tagged things to search for that tag but not want it public. Conversely, i might not want to enter tags for every movie ive seen, comedy, etc tags might just be checked off and on as well as entered to be added to a title