I suggest you ...

Bulk tag editing and other enhancements

After obsessively adding/sorting/erasing/rewriting tags, I had a few suggestions I thought might improve their general function. I'm aware that some of these ideas might be impossibly complicated to implement, so this is more of a dream wish list:

- Tag Editing: Rather than only create or delete tags, enable an editing function. It'd make things easier for correcting spelling errors or reclassifying tags that have been used hundreds of times.

- Tag Folders: Allow users to subdivide tags into separate groups if they see fit. For example, I might discretely classify certain tags as 'genre', 'mood', 'actors', or 'miscellaneous', retaining 'all' as a default folder. This might aid those who wish to search through users with thousands of tags.

- Tag Clustering: Allow users to select multiple tags in conjunction that will return film results bearing said tags. At the moment, I can select one tag and it displays all of the films with that tag. Through this method, I would be able to select tags for 'horror', 'comedy', and 'vampire' from someone's tag database, and that might display a group including 'What We Do in the Shadows', 'Dracula Dead and Loving It', and 'Once Bitten'. I think this might encourage tag use for the sake of manually generating recommendations.

- Global Tags: For users who wish to participate, allow their tags to be aggregated along with the movies. For example, if the most common user tag applied to 'La La Land' was 'overrated', it would appear along with some of the most common user generated tags on the film's page. Users who wish to add some or all of these particular tags to their review would then simply click them. This might aid in streamlining a basic vocabulary of user tags throughout the site, and could potentially be used to generate trending topics.

Another oblique version of this might include the ability for users to add tags to a specific movie based off of another user's tags. For example, a friend has tagged 'Moonlight' as 'slice of life'. By clicking that tag on *their* review, I can choose to add it to *my* review.

267 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Bryan Way shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

39 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Daniel Pergamo Pilon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be a good feature to create lists based on a person filmography. This would help people that build rankings from directors, actors etc.

• Jan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The tagging support has several things that are annoying. The system is inconsistent in the support for Mixed Case in tags, which means that if you f.e. tag with the city you saw it in you very quickly end up getting the city names with both small case and Mixed Case in the suggestions. It seems they get forced to all small depending on the position of the tag, the first tag is always all small.

I'd also really, really like the possibility to delete a tag globally, change a tag globally and to tag a group of movies at the same time. If you have 100+ movies in your diary and decide to add a tag the time spent adding it can quickly get out of hand.

• Brian Lokker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Deleting and editing tags would be really helpful. I have tags that I added when I first joined the site that make no sense. But now I'm stuck with them.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add my vote to the list. Was surprised to find that tags cannot be edited or deleted.

• Adam Schoales commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd also love a way to manage my tags. When I first started using the site I went a little tag crazy, but now have dialled it back to the point that I no longer need four pages of tags.

Four.

What was I thinking?!

I'd love to go through and delete all those extraneous ones and focus on the ones I'm going to keep using.

• Joshua Bertram commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second the idea of tag editing. Having the ability to go to our "tags" page, and editing a single tag (thereby modifying that tag on all the films it has been applied to) would be a great help. The more tags one gets, the more necessary it seems to be to have the option to organize them further.

• Jacob Olsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, yes. Comparing lists is a great idea. 1. What's common in lists 1 and 2?
        2. What's in L1 but not in L2, and Vice Versa. And finally maybe the option to save the 'result' into a new list, i.e. "Criterions that user A has seen that I haven't". :)

• Greg Robinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This suggestion should be renamed "Private Tags" and I think it might get more votes. I'd love the ability to make certain tags private so I can, for example, tag an entry with the last name of the friends I watched the movie with. Those are tags I wouldn't want the world to see, but they would be useful. How many times do you say, "What did we watch last time you were here?" It would be really easy if I could just click the (private) Tag called "Smiths" and see all the movies I watched with the Smiths. Yes, this COULD be a private list, but tagging would be much easier when entering a new Diary entry. Thanks!

On a related note, I'm going to add another suggestion: type-ahead Tag names in Diary. Sometimes it's hard to remember your tag names. If you type it wrong, it ends up creating a new (very similar but different) Tag. Type-ahead and/or a pull-down list showing existing Tags would be really convenient. Thanks again!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

changing a tag globally without having to change the tag on every film that use it.

• JW Hendricks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would it be possible to make a feature for lists that allows us to add all the films from that particular list to our Watchlist? This would be great for lists like "Roger Ebert Great Movies" or "1000 Movies to See Before you Die"

• nekrodave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd love to be able to sort my tagged movies by date watched rather than date added which are not always, in fact rarely are, the same. Also, I'd love to have a feature allowing you to edit tag terms. So if after adding 100 movies with one tag, I decide I'd prefer a slightly different tag it can be changed all at once rather than editing each movie entry.

• Stuart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yeah for sure, I'm getting near to 1000 films and it takes ages to click every film 2 or 3 times to select watched, liked, rating!

some kind of check box select then one click to like or watched

• Tony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bulk editing of *everything*, in a simple, non-graphical format. The graphical view is great when browsing content, but if I want to edit a list of 400 things, or change stuff, I'd be happier with a nice simple low-graphic option that responds much more quickly than the current interface. i.e. just a list of films with simple check boxes for seen, liked, etc. with a way to select multiple films in the list and turn those check boxes on and off.

• Mark Dunne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this. When marking films as seen or "like" it would be nice to be able to wiew them in a list with the seen, like, go to film page as seperate icons beside the films description/poster.
        As it is now you need to click on each poster then click on the seen and like buttons. It's a little annoying

• jonnothin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I imported my Netflix films as "films I've seen" but didn't want them in the diary section. I can't bulk delete these films from the diary and doing it one by one for hundreds of films is painful.

• Guy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why not share tags, so every movie i select i can opt to use public tags or my private tags, i might have tagged things to search for that tag but not want it public. Conversely, i might not want to enter tags for every movie ive seen, comedy, etc tags might just be checked off and on as well as entered to be added to a title

2 Next →

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base