I suggest you ...

Integrate "Now Playing Near You!" notifications into Watchlist

I watch tons of trailers, most of them several months in advance of the films' release. I file away the ones I want to see, but it's impossible to keep up with when and where every film hits theaters (if it hits theaters at all). So I would love it if Letterboxd could notify me when the films on my Watchlist are in theaters near me.

160 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Rob Weychert shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

21 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be nice if letterboxd somehow integrated something of a calendar or a system that notifies us of when a film is to release/when it has been released. Tv Time does something of the sort with upcoming shows/episodes and it definitely helps with the arrangement of your own palette.

Definitely think it could go a long way

• Justin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know that there is an Upcoming Films List, but I frequently add films to my watchlist that are releasing in the future, and will forget when they release and miss them in theaters when they come out
    A notification during Week of Release for a movie on your watchlist would be super helpful since it's hard to keep track of so many releases.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It also would be useful to know when it's available on DVD or for streaming.

• Wesley Clapp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe even before a movie is released, get a little notification saying when it is released or put it on the Watchlist or something.

• Rodrigo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Came here looking for this. I wouldn't even need it to be "playing near you". I'm fine with an alert just saying the movie has been release in its origin country.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would really love this feature as I prefer to watch films in the cinema but always end up missing screenings because I don't know about them.

• Renns commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am also really hoping there will be some kind of notification for when movies are released in theatre, but more importantly when they are released for home viewing (bluray, dvd, etc).

Also, instead of just FILTERING your watchlist by "Released" and "Not Released", I would like to see that changed to three options:
    1) Not Released
    2) Released (Theatre)
    3) Released (Bluray)

This would help me choose a movie to buy without being disappointed by finding out it's not out on disc yet.

• Jason Matsoukas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great to receive an email notification when a movie from your watchlist is out on DVD/Bluray

• Todd Sheridan Perry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I third this.

What would also be great is if sorting by release date could be finer grained, so we can filter by a year (rather than a decade), and it would be sorted by the actual release date within that year.

Yeah, I'm a little OCD

• Dave H. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Reminders and or notifications when films are released or become available on rental or streaming sites would be an extremely useful feature. I often use a service called "Can I Stream It" www.canistream.it, which takes a film title and searches multiple streaming sites, rental sites and VOD sites to see where it is available. And, if it is not available yet, I can set reminders for that movie and it will send me an email when that title becomes available. It would be great to integrate a service like this with my Letterboxd Watchlist or implement your own version of this type of notification option. Thank you.

• Dan Browne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And regarding Andrew's comment... I think if it were just an email notification or something with all the settings for it controlled in the settings page, then there'd be no extra clutter in the design ;)

• Dan Browne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And it'd be cool to be notified when it's released on DVD also... So if a film is on my watchlist, comes out in the cinema, but I don't get a chance to watch it and haven't marked it as seen yet, then another notification upon DVD release could be cray...

• Eugene Pirogov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having this implemented, I'd completely move from storing all when-on-blue-ray related recordings from elsware. In fact, this one blocks me from completely moving to Letterboxd!

So it'd be awesome having a button with a calendar popup (which I believe you already have) so that one could pick a date when he's about to watch the movie.

Also, having a calendar page with: "all movies from my watch list (except real oldies)" – would be super awesome as well!

• NanookRubsIt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Give me some sort of notification when they come out on DVD/Bluray for example. Then you can add new movies that you dont feel like watching in the cinema, and get updated when it comes out on dvd/bluray.

• Greg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd love to have my watchlist remind me when movies are about to be released (theaters and/or DVD). I'll take email reminders, but if you could set up a calendar (ical?) that would be amazing. Bonus for notifications for watchlist films becoming available on Netflix.

A lot there, but a button (optionally defaulted) for email reminders for watchlist movies would be pretty handy.

← Previous 1

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base