I suggest you ...

Recommendations

I think "recommendation" will be a killer feature of the site, even if it doesn't approach the philosophy behind letterboxd (being a social site).
Moreover now that you are at the beta stage, meaning fewer users, less probability of "friends", the recommendation of a movie based on my most liked movies or the highest rating, it'll be a great way of discovering new movies.
I know that technically it will very challenging or maybe you have even think about it.

1,500 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    gsiotasgsiotas shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

53 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do you have a recommendation engine based on AI that you use to recommend films to users based on their likes?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rather than just showing the most popular lists that have the movie in them on the movie landing page, show some more lists that might consist similar type of movies

• Mathieu DonnerMathieu Donner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The first idea is simple, have the site provide each user with recommendations based on the ratings of the people they follow or are friends with and have those ranked based on the amount of ratings and the quality of the ratings. Find an algorithm which would weigh each rating and provide a suggestion list based on friends and network.

The second idea is to make it so that when a user search for a film and arrive on the film page, there would be a mention of what his friends or network thought of that film. Something like "XXX watched this film on (date) and gave it x amount of stars".

• Tyler CartnerTyler Cartner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The first thing I thought about doing, while rating films I've seen, was recommending a few of my favorites to another letterboxd user. It seems like the most intuitive thing that must exist in this software, but it doesn't.

• JonJon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see a function on a movies page where you could add films that you find is similar to it and display a short list of similar movies that other people have suggested, maybe ranked by how many votes it got. This would be a valueable help when trying to find movies you might like.

• Quek YufeiQuek Yufei commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Much like what we can do on GoodReads, where users can choose in their profiles the preferred genres, and on the homepage the website suggests popular/new movies belonging to the genres they like.

This is possible as Letterboxd includes genre descriptions for many movies, and it can suggest to users movies based on how closely the movie matches the user's taste, and also based on the number of views and average ratings.

• Hannah SchultejansHannah Schultejans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be interesting to expand this to TV Shows, especially because in some cases TV shows are art much in the same way film is. Just a thought.

I would also appreciate recommendations, like "users who recently watched Jiro Dreams of Sushi also watched Chef's Table" or something similar.

Keep up the great work! I love this website.

• Jacob van PeltJacob van Pelt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A showcase feature would be awesome!
        If you added a showcase feature, similar to Steam, where all users can showcase their favourite reviews and favourite lists on the front page of their profile, it'd be awesome. The 'Popular Reviews' showcase is great but sometimes you want to feature the best review you've written on your profile rather than your most popular. for example my 'Drive' review has the most likes but its a very poorly written review from like a year ago and I'd much rather feature my longer write-ups that didn't get much attention when I first published them. This would be really cool for a Patron feature and would definitely convince me to get patron but if you made this available for everyone, it'd be even better

• Andy KempAndy Kemp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a newer member i can see the value of being able to recommend films directly to other members, but the idea of recommendations based on algorithms sounds awful and always ends up with everybody being channelled in the same direction, whereas what is amazing about this site at the moment is its eclecticism. Being led to films that are supposedly 'similar' (whatever that means) by a computer will lead to members being more passive. I love the fact that at the moment, if you follow your nose you discover amazing and unlikely stuff simply by finding out what other members whose taste interests you like, but it's an active process.

• Wax1138Wax1138 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes PLEASE since Jinni is no longer useable even after I poured so much time into my profile there has yet to be another to fill its place. None have came close. PLEASE this is how can network with people.

• Andrey KurenkovAndrey Kurenkov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey +1 to any updates? Recommender systems are a pretty well documented as far as algorithms are concerned...

• LCLC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you liked a film, I'd love to see users recommend other films that they enjoyed that are similar to the one you want to see related things to.

• Mariano Gutierrez XavierMariano Gutierrez Xavier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great to have a 'Similar movies' or 'Also recommended for you' section in the movie detail page, with quick 'add to watchlist' button for faster recommendation and tracking

• MaelMael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+3. This feature will give Letterboxd an incredible visibility.

• DaigoroDaigoro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This kind of feature is always interesting, but usually disappointing.
        I would give the "Match users with similar taste" a higher priority, because it would be more useful in that regard, actually.

• Tig3rch3nTig3rch3n commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My solution would be something like:

Take 10% or more of the watched movies of a user and compare it to other users 10% or more and than you can select in the settings how high the minimum rating should be and how high the comparison percentage has to be.

I am not sure if it is possible that way but that would make letterboxd perfect for me :)

• LaurizmLaurizm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for this. It's what it's missing from being the perfect website. I'd hate to have to find other options just because it's missing this...

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base