I suggest you ...

Recommendations

I think "recommendation" will be a killer feature of the site, even if it doesn't approach the philosophy behind letterboxd (being a social site).
Moreover now that you are at the beta stage, meaning fewer users, less probability of "friends", the recommendation of a movie based on my most liked movies or the highest rating, it'll be a great way of discovering new movies.
I know that technically it will very challenging or maybe you have even think about it.

2,141 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
gsiotas shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

70 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • megan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you click on a particular movie, movies similar to that one will appear on the page as well

• Bonf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like IMDB's "people who watched this also watched" but determined by user votes rather than search data.

• krn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be great to have a recommendations page that would help discover new movies based on movies watched by the user and his ratings.

• AdminMatthew Buchanan (CEO / Founder, Letterboxd) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for your feedback and ideas around recommendations and taste matching. We've been focused on site performance for the past several months, and on readying API/apps. These pieces of work are next in line. Letterboxd is a bootstrapped business, not a funded enterprise, but we're putting every second into it that we're able to.

• Greg Robinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is definitely the #1 feature I think Letterboxd is missing, and I'm really hoping we see it soon. I think it needs to be two layers. The more difficult layer is a site data-based system that suggests other films I might like based on how I rated a film (and others?) Even an inconsistent and only partially-reliable algorithm would better than none at all. The second layer - and I think easier to develop AND more in keeping with the social aspect of this site - is the ability for ME to suggest other films that my friends would like if they liked THIS movie. Maybe it's part of the Review functionality, maybe it's its own separate utility. On any movie's info page, you have "Watched By" where it lists your friends. Have another widget right below that called "Friends Also Suggest" (with a "More" link) and have it list all movies your friends have recommended based on this one. And obviously, that second layer (which should come first in my opinion) could feed/eventually become the first layer. Killer feature! Pretty please?? :)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just like with spotify feature "similar artists" for movies. Or like the amazon thing: "other uses who bought this also bought..." transferred to movies.

• Ferio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The implementation of an algorithm like the one they use in FilmAffinity (filmaffinity.com/en) could be the way to go in my modest opinion; I use it all the time and it's way better than other kinds of recommendation methods (IMDB,NetFlix, etc.)

• alysonsee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to be able to contribute to a crowdsourced graph of "if you liked this film, you may also like" recommendations. I might attach "Lincoln" to "Death and the Civil War", or "Pina" to "Marina Ambrovic: The Artist is Present". And, as I browser through films on the site, Id like to see those kinds of recommendations/associations from the people on follow.

My hope is that, because the tastes of the users that I would choose to follow, I'd get introduced to movies that I had never heard of before. I'm sick of Netflix' recommendations. If Letterboxd has this kind of graph, I could tweak my chances of being recommended lesser known treasures by simply choosing to follow people whose tastes I admire.

• Jan Van Lysebettens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1 year later, and still no updates ?

A recommendation feature is an absolute must-have on this site.
    You have all this data, and yet you aren't actually doing anything useful with it..

• Unni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Amazing idea.

Upon clicking Recommend if a dialog box pops up showing your friends who have yet to watch the movie, would be a killer option.

• Rikke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Such a great idea, flixster once had it and it helped mé SO Much. Best idea I've seen yet in here :)

• Panchoavila commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow...I was loking for contact form to recommend exactly the same feature. That could be an amazing feature. We all have cinephile friends.

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base