I suggest you ...

Suggest/recommend a movie to a friend

I imagine some kind of inbox or notification system where you can receive suggests from your friends. The film menu you see on mouse over can get an extra option "Suggest to friend..."

584 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Bran van der MeerBran van der Meer shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I make a new discovery I often have a friend in mind who I think might like/love the movie. However I need to speak to them outside of Letterboxd to make the recommendation. I understand you do not wish to turn this into another social media chat site but a film post option I think would really be great. It's also possible I'm missing one that already exists within Letterboxd, if thats the case never mind.

• Peter SpencerPeter Spencer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear admin, I am writing to you about an idea for Letterboxd - I always make film reviews and (more recently) film lists, and yet very few of my friends ever looked at them But what if they were given an alert from one of their friends for every reviews and lists they have posted?
        For example: Tripleholmes has posted a new list.
        But this would work only for those who are following you and/or being followed. Basically, it would only work if you were friended on Letterboxd. But the idea is sound. I hope you would consider this amazing idea.

I would use this feature. Would be nice to have the additional step of accepting or rejecting suggestions, unless there were more than one watchlist.

• TheJimCreminsTheJimCremins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This site is great for passively sharing. I'd like to be able to suggest a specific film to a follower, but there's no way to directly interact. Unless i'm missing it?

This needs to happen! I was just looking for something like this to suggest a few good movies to a friend of mine who just joined Letterboxd. I'm actually surprised that something so basic doesn't exist on a site dedicated to movie fans, it should have been feature number 1! I'm really hoping this gets implemented because it's a natural fit for Letterboxd.

• Gert-JanGert-Jan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to love to see this applied to lists as well! I'd like make a list for one or a couple of friends specificially, but the only two options I'm given now are "public" or "private" .

There really should be some kind of messaging system. A user wall or something would be great.

This simple thing would add a lot of value to an already great site. Especially when you know a specific person would love a certain movie. The work-around I've been using is creating a List "Movies X Should See", which is obviously extremely cumbersome.

• JCJC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great idea and would love to see it implemented - I'm thinking a recommendation option w/ small comment section like others have suggested.
        In a case where maybe i'd want to talk spoilers with one person in particular but don't want these comments visible to everyone for those who haven't watched the film yet.

• Greg RobinsonGreg Robinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sometimes you see a movie and you know a particular friend would love it. "Share" will tell everyone (unless you deal with custom lists on FB). But "Suggest to a friend" would allow me to beam that review or movie link to a specific friend(s) easily and quickly.

• wgardnerwgardner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be awesome, it would be nice if you could add a quick comment to the recommendation also, Spotify has a good example of this functionality.

• Chris MorganChris Morgan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Word! How can there be a function for recommending movies through FB and Twitter but not the site itself to other friends and followers? Madness!

• Jacob Randall TenderJacob Randall Tender commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This and mobile support is all that I find is missing with Letterboxd. I often have the urge to recommend films to my friends and colleagues and find myself leaving the site to do so (Facebook, in person, etc.). It'd be great to have an inbox solely for recommendations with a small note of thoughts attached (no private messages or notifications). Think Spotify inboxes. That's exactly how I invision this feature.

• aakiaaki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I fully agree with Erich Sabo! Sometimes you even don't consider it a great movie but still there might be a friend of yours that you're sure would be interested in it.

• Erich SaboErich Sabo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Corin, that would only be if they check their dashboard. There may be a movie that you've reviewed in the past and would like to suggest. Especially if its a movie a specific friend would like. This is a top feature request for me.

• Corin edwardsCorin edwards commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Shouldn't the act of writing reviews and rating films' which are then made visible to your friends kinda cover this?

Feedback and Knowledge Base