I suggest you ...

Match (and compare) members with similar taste

Add a match button to every profile so you can check immediately if somebody has the same taste as you.

You can use the like and/or rating of a movie to produce a list of similar movies/similar profile or a similar %.

1,558 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    jazzurri shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

47 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Goodreads.com has this feature. When you click on a person's account, you can then Compare Books. It shows you a Venn Diagram...percentage of how many books you have in common and not in common, percentage of films you have both seen with a similar rating. It's great and has been a feature on their site for years.

• Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update? Would be so rad to have a "neighbor" feature where you can find your soul mate (or less) that rate as much films the same way as one self

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The People page is all based in popularity and I have trouble finding new people to follow aside from randomly finding people who write reviews of movies I am interested in.

I'd love to be able to search Letterboxd users based on stats like how many movies we've both seen and liked or even just if we match on a favorite movie of our top 4.

I'm also trying to use letterboxd to expand my film-viewing into more international and non-mainstream territories. I wish there were more ways to explore what people are watching that's not based on popularity/likes. Right now Lists are the best way to do this which works well.

• Mikey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When looking at someone else's profiles, highlight films you've both seen and rated four stars or higher to see if you have the same taste in movies. Kind of like a scroll of films with similar ratings as you.

• abatage commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You know how there's the popular reviews and reviewers - it would be nice to see some different filters for finding new people. As it stands, every time I look at those pages, I see the same handful of popular people and it never seems to change so it gets redundant really fast...

Perhaps adding in something that shows people based on other stats like similar film libraries, or similar/different scores given to films... or something else entirely... I don't know what!

Feels like more filtering options would help this, as well as the ability to select - so maybe throw together every stat available and make it a filter option....

• Rafa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Filmaffinity already does this, so the idea is not crazy. Good suggestion.

• M alias Maeckimesser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I click on the ratings of an interesting user the matrix compares all films that are rated by this user and also by me. It sums up 5 points for exakt accordance, 4 for half a star difference, 3 for 1 star difference and so on til zero for 2,5 stars difference. AND, VERY IMPORTANT, bad points!!: -5 for 4,5 stars difference, -4 for 4 stars difference and so on til zero for 2 stars difference.

• James Salvatore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently when looking at a director, you get the percentage of film's you have seen and you can filter / fade out what you've watched. It would be great if you could do the same for friends, in order to compare which movies you have in common. Currently if I wanted to see which Yasujirō Ozu films a friend has seen I need to click on each individual film and then click on "watched by" and check for his name; it would be much more convenient if on the director's page I could apply a filter to see all the films he has watched. Same goes for lists.

• AdminMatthew Buchanan (Admin, Letterboxd) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Aaron We’ve had a statistician give us some guidance, now it’s just a matter of prioritizing the development work. We’re a small team, and our top priority is the Android app right now. It’s high on the list though.

• Aaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just discovered LB and this was the exact feature I was hoping for when I signed up. I was so pleased to find it already suggested and highly supported here, but very dishearted to see it began back in 2012. Any 207 update on the progress of matching functionality?

• Diego de B. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Understanding the depths of this website by including a section called Soul mates can be the ultimate feature to discover new people, new movies and essentially to encourage discussions. Im suprised something so basic isnt a priority.

• leo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An extra part of the people section which shows you people who have the same or similar four favourite movies as you do. Could also include people who have liked or watched many of the same films you have. Also maybe a message feature allowing users to talk about films.

• Madeline commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Similar to last.fm's "compatibility bar", it would be interesting that, upon visiting someone's profile, one would be able to see an instant comparison: how many of their watched movies one has watched as well (or vice-versa) and how much the two agree in terms of ratings and likes (maybe grouped by genre?). It's a bit different from a match button, since it doesn't require user input, it's automatic.

It's just something that, personally, I would really enjoy, but I understand if it's not cost-effective or it doesn't quite follow the site's main design pattern.

• Dex Bracewell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If it was similar to the sadly departed "Neighbours" page on Last.fm profiles, that would be a treat.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base