I suggest you ...

Match users with similar taste

Add a match button to every profile so you can check immediately if somebody has the same taste as you.

You can use the like and/or rating of a movie to produce a list of similar movies/similar profile or a similar %.

1,349 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    jazzurrijazzurri shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

36 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Matthew BuchananAdminMatthew Buchanan (Admin, Letterboxd) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Aaron We’ve had a statistician give us some guidance, now it’s just a matter of prioritizing the development work. We’re a small team, and our top priority is the Android app right now. It’s high on the list though.

• AaronAaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just discovered LB and this was the exact feature I was hoping for when I signed up. I was so pleased to find it already suggested and highly supported here, but very dishearted to see it began back in 2012. Any 207 update on the progress of matching functionality?

• Diego de B.Diego de B. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Understanding the depths of this website by including a section called Soul mates can be the ultimate feature to discover new people, new movies and essentially to encourage discussions. Im suprised something so basic isnt a priority.

• leoleo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An extra part of the people section which shows you people who have the same or similar four favourite movies as you do. Could also include people who have liked or watched many of the same films you have. Also maybe a message feature allowing users to talk about films.

• MadelineMadeline commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Similar to last.fm's "compatibility bar", it would be interesting that, upon visiting someone's profile, one would be able to see an instant comparison: how many of their watched movies one has watched as well (or vice-versa) and how much the two agree in terms of ratings and likes (maybe grouped by genre?). It's a bit different from a match button, since it doesn't require user input, it's automatic.

It's just something that, personally, I would really enjoy, but I understand if it's not cost-effective or it doesn't quite follow the site's main design pattern.

• Dex BracewellDex Bracewell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If it was similar to the sadly departed "Neighbours" page on Last.fm profiles, that would be a treat.

• GeoGeo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pretty good idea and I think using the "Rating" system instead of "like" is making it more functional and simplifies a little bit the development(I think :D). For example, when I visit a profile I can see how many movies (me and the profile I visit) we have rated with the same rating.

Additionally it is going to help also fresh members to find members to follow ;)

• DaigoroDaigoro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it's a good idea, because the best way to find reliable suggestions is to check the profile of users who share a similar taste in movies. It proved to be useful in other sites for me, and I think it would work great in this one as well.

• Peter McFrehleyPeter McFrehley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even if it weren't a button, but an area of a member's profile that displays some films that both you and that person have rated identically (both good and bad) to give you a sense of how much you may match up with that particular member. Would that be just as hard to implement?

Letterboxd is a cool site that really seems to lack ways to connect with other members who may have similar tastes. I'm really hoping this can improve in 2016.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Look at a random selection of the films a user (User A) has rated, find another user (User B) with the same ratings for those films, and then provide both Users with a list of films the other has rated highly that they have not seen (added).
        This could be an on request button for User A that gets him/her a recommendation and an unsolicited message to User B that they can use/ignore.

• billy osmondbilly osmond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the main reason why I haven't paid yet. It's absolutely impossible to find anyone.

Also, the whole people section is downright pathetic, there is no way to search anyone under any parameters. It's basically the same popular people over and over again. Even the most basic function of being able to search for newcomers isn't there, us newbies get the shaft as far as feeling like we're part of the already established community. Please take my money, i'm sick of feeling like i'm late to the party. Cheers!

• HUANGLONGHUANGLONG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm surprised the Letterboxd team doesn't consider this to be its absolute highest priority. If a feature like this did exist, it would embody the primary selling proposition for Letterboxd, as a whole. It would amplify the value, and meaning, of almost every other Letterboxd feature.

In addition to the OKCupid reference mentioned by Jackson Hart on Dec. 2, 2014, let me cite LibraryThing. LibraryThing is an independent website, like Letterboxd, focusing on books rather than movies. LibraryThing offers a couple of different taste-matching algorithms. So why not hire, on a contract basis, some LibraryThing programmers and administrators to build a similar feature here for movies, that they did over there for books? Leverage their experience, on an existing website that's much like Letterboxd but doesn't compete for users; since it deals only with books, not movies.

• Pedro VerdugoPedro Verdugo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's been a while since this was asked, and based on votes it is very popular, thought it would at least be marked as planned by now.

• JackJack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does this idea not deserve at least some sort of response from a team member?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base