I suggest you ...

Add a table view for the film list, with sortable/filterable columns

This would allow us to search, filter, and otherwise analyze our data easily. We may also wish to create graphs and lists with this info; while it would be nice if Letterboxd also did that, it would be easier and more flexible if we could get at the raw data. See Goodreads for a decent example of rich tables of user data.

56 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Neven shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  AdminMatthew Buchanan (Admin, Letterboxd) responded  · 

We’ve completed the first stage of this, by changing the default diary view to a sortable table view. We’d love follow-up feedback on how useful this is, and if/how you’d like to see this view used elsewhere in the site.

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nick Petrick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Making the diary sortable was a huge upgrade and it makes the site much more useful to me. I have a film blog and I use your site for almost all of my organization now. I would love to see this feature expanded to the watched list as I don't add dates for films I watched years ago. I've also been wondering about the possibility of some sort of a key word filter. For example a text box in the watched/diary section where I could type in an actor/director/genre and only see films that fall into that category. That way if I'm doing some research I can easily access the information I need.

• Andrew James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

LOVE the progress that's been made with this. I utilize the diary all of the time to remember what I have watched over the past week/month/year.

Thank you LetterBoxd!

• AdminMatthew Buchanan (Admin, Letterboxd) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Smart thinking Rob. In our original designs we had a grid/list toggle on several views and we ended up iterating away from it. I feel now that we’re a bit more sure of ourselves in these views, we should look to re-introduce that. As you say, it will obviate the need for a separate ratings tab at the least, which is a good thing. Stay tuned!

• Rob Weychert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love this feature! I use the site primarily as a film diary (I'm only adding films as I watch them), so table integration was most important to me in that section, and it does exactly what I want. I do think it would make sense to have a table view option under Watched as well, and it could consolidate some other features. For example, the user could sort by rating, which would eliminate the need for a separate Rating section.

• Chris Cutler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the sortable table, and would like to have that view as an option for other areas of the site (lists, watchlist, maybe even search results)

Two suggestions:
        >Rather than an icon to show that there is a review, I would really like a 1-2 sentence blurb. You could make space for this by decreasing the giant font size of the film titles.
        >When looking at a friend's diary who has some films overlapping your own, it could be useful to have an additional column that shows your own ratings side by side to theirs as a visual comparison. Even just an icon that shows watched or not would be convenient, rather than hovering over each movie poster to see if it's been added to your own films.

• Ed Travis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just checked out the diary view. Looks great, and will be helpful for me. I'm trying to use Letterboxd primarily as a film diary, so this helps. Thanks!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree! More often than not film posters are just not very meaningful and distract rather than aid in quickly finding a movie. They also take up a lot of space, esp. for very large lists. I'd like a real top-down-list with a small poster icon and important text data such as title,otitle,year,director,running time much more comfortable and convenient than the current grid-like kind of view.
        One example: even if you sort a list by - let's say - release date, you don't get any visual feedback whatsoever from the movie posters that helps you orientate yourself on the list. So thumbs up for a table view.

• Ed Travis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was planning to suggest that Letterboxd add a "calendar" view so you can see your films laid out on a clean looking calendar on the dates you actually watched them. This suggestion sounds similar and maybe even better than my initial suggestion. But yeah, I'd like to be able to see a calendar view.

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base