I suggest you ...

Allow list owners to sort to a list prior to saving

I have a list of over 400 films that I'd like to keep sorted. Dragging and dropping is not a feasible method for a list of this size. I'd like to be able to sort the list by name, either manually (e.g. by clicking a 'sort now' button), or automatically (select a default sort order for when the list is displayed).

37 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Matt Powell shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any update on this? I know we can sort lists and views after the fact, but it would be a welcome addition to be able to permanently sort a list by release date, or other critiera -- as it is, sorting alphabetically is useless until the site learns to ignore titles beginning with A or THE. Would love some more robust sorting options for lists.

• Erika commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want this so badly! I have a very large list that I have painstakingly sorted by release year by hand, but every time I add a new film, I have to drag it into the middle or wherever. It would be so much nicer to click "sort by year" and be done with it. I am a Pro user, so I can at least sort A - Z now, though.

• AdminMatthew Buchanan (Admin, Letterboxd) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is still in our future plans, but a note to Elbon: you can easily move an item from the end of a list to the start by clicking its item number on the Edit page (when these are visible) and changing it to a 1. The item you change will be moved to the #1 position and the rest of the list is shifted one position down.

• Eibon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I made a List of all the movies I own. In the "List Cover Preview" are only the first 5 displayed. I would like to have the last 5 movies displayed. So basically i am all for more order options in lists.

• Derrick Mims commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this topic. I built a list and then decided I wanted to sort it my release year. I had to drag and drop the listings.

• Lise commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to stop adding to my TIFF 2012 - All Films list which was meant to include all films playing at the Toronto Film Fest this year, because the list is too large and it is too much trouble to manually move the recently added films in alphabetical order. Darn Shame. I so wanted to create this list and keep it up to date before the festival begins, so that festival goers could create their own "What to see at TIFF" lists just by browsing this one.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The same idea from Germany, i only hat over 130 movies but it´s a lot of work to sort them by the Name

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base