I suggest you ...

Watchlist: allow sorting/ranking/categorizing

In the 'films' section of your profile you can order your films by popularity, could it be possible to integrate this function into the 'watchlist'. Tis could be handy for days you have no inspiration on what to watch.?

229 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Bram Peirs shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

26 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Derek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could there be a way that we could organize our watchlist in ways that aren't by recently added? Perhaps A-Z, release date, Letterboxd score?

• Adam J. Kessel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One other thought--what if you just allowed users to specify an arbitrary list as their "watchlist", since the arbitrary lists already have manual sorting? The main advantage of the "watchlist" is the convenient button on each film page to add directly to the list, so if the user could specify a different list to be the default target that would also accomplish this goal.

Any progress on manual watchlist sorting? That functionality alone would be enough to get me to upgrade to Pro if offered.

• Joel Santos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same thing for me. I share the watchlist with my partner, and there are movies there that only one of us wants to watch. Being able to tag movies as "mine" would help to browse de watchlist.

Is there any reason watchlists couldn't be manually organized/ordered the same way as any other custom list? Seems like you already have the UI implemented so it's just a question of adding this functionality to this "special" type of list. This is the one feature I'm looking for before changing list-tracking services (currently on Rotten Tomates/Flixster).

• Kablion commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's definitly a feature I need. With over 100 films in my watchlist I want to rank then so I can see wich films I wanna see next.

• Francois-Alexandre Perreault commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be such an helpful feature. At the moment Letterboxd is the best way to manage everything movie related but as mentioned by the OP, once you grow a massive watchlist you cannot really find what you are looking for easily.
        As of right now, I have to use private lists to work around this.

• Lucas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Include the ability to edit and reorder the watchlist in the same way you can reorder a list. Would be useful for those that use that would like to prioritize certain films in a watchlist.

• Lise commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Josh, thanks for the comment. Yeah, that feature was implemented just last year I think. I don't use it much because I keep forgetting how to get to it, so thanks for the reminder. I think I will delete my 2 comments in this thread because it isn't relevant (to me) anymore now that I can't rent dvds online. I would still appreciate being able to include a note when watchlisting a film. I'd love to write "recommended by Kevin" or "Phips hated it - so I might like it" or "Blackie wrote a great review about this" as I'm adding it to the watchlist so that I can remember why I put it there.

• Josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@ Lise - I know this is an old thread, but any users running into the issue that you mentioned can see if they've already added a film to a list by visiting the film page, activating the menu by hovering over the poster image, selecting 'Show in lists', and then changing the sort feature to "You' instead of 'Everyone'. Unfortunately, this solution only works with public lists.

• Kevin Powers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to be able to designate certain lists as "watchlists" so they behave the same as your master watchlist (i.e. when you watch a movie, the movie is automatically removed from the list).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd love to have an option for a second watch list. (Or just generally more watch lists.) My list now is just the 17 or so films that I have to see in the coming month to finish my challenge, but I'd also like to have an opportunity to add some movies to a second watch list thats' just for longer term.
        Thanks!

I've just asked the question, I would a feature like to create my own categories, like released/unreleased etc.

• Sally Jane Black commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to be able to sort my watchlist by genre somehow. Or anything by genre. Unless there already is a way that I am just unaware of (I am aware of tagging, but can I search the watchlist via tags?).

• Maquina_Muerte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

good idea, would be useful to also have the name of the director en the actors in the movie pop up when scrolling over the poster.. and who knows maybe some extra info like rankin in letterboxd top 250 for example just for fun ;)

• Josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had posted about this back in September: http://feedback.letterboxd.com/forums/136771-general/suggestions/3204845-add-multiple-or-categorize-watchlist

The Watchlist is one of my favorite features on the site, and the way you guys have designed it makes it very easy to add/remove movies to that list, and to see if a movie is in there already. The downside of the feature is that the ease of adding movies to the list, coupled with few sorting options (though there are more that have since been added), have made it very easy for that list to balloon considerably, and in turn have made it sort of a black hole for users.

I finally reorganized my 600+ film Watchlist last week, opting instead for private genre lists so that I can quickly pick a movie when I know what I'm in the mood to watch. There are some considerable drawbacks to this though:

1.) No Netflix integration makes it tedious to find the medium through which I have to watch the movie.
        2.) Movies, once marked as watched, are not removed from these lists. This is perhaps the most user-friendly feature of the Watchlist in its current state. Note: I'm not suggesting they should be removed automatically, but I have to go through and manually remove them, which is somewhat unpleasant as well.
        3.) My number of (what I'd call un-useful, meaning not used in their desired intent) lists has also ballooned quite a bit, and I'm even combining some genres.

Now, allowing users to create subsections of their Watchlists would address all three of those issues. The "Coming Soon" sort options would be great further additions to this feature as well. Plus, it would make it easier to navigate others' lists as well. If I wasn't out of votes, I'd give this suggestion 10!

Yes, even a simple: Coming soon (based on before a set release date), In theatres (x amount of time after release date), and then Available/Backcatalogue (added after a film becomes available on general release).

With this system it would be easy to check out films that are upcoming, pick a film to see at the cinema with a friend, or watch at home. In the future it would be interesting to have more sophisticated filtrations of the watchlist, but these basic break-downs would be invaluable.

• Erik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great to be able to sort the watchlist by rating. I add more films then I can watch, so it would be great to watch the best films and skip the worst!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base