I suggest you ...

Lists Should Have Default Sorting/Display Options

Right now it seems Lists default to show covers with any added notes not being visible until the viewer manually switches View modes (which is just a small button). I like to have my lists with a bit of substance. I'd like to see an option while creating a List to be able to default your specific list to whatever view style suits it best.

61 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    peter shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will it ever be possible to set the default list filter to something other than “film popularity”? I’d love to sort certain lists/tags by film name, or release date, etc. instead of changing it each time I access it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed! It would be great if all sort options everywhere were universally saved/remembered once I change them, instead of reverting back to whatever the default is every time.

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you have compiled a list you have the ability to sort that list. However, when you close the app, your list will jump back to the default setting, which is Date added.
        Very annoying if one has to reset this everytime one logs in.

• Renns commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. I have to change my SORT and FILTER settings every single time I open the iOS app and access my watchlist. It would be great if it would remember my settings.

• Jerry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to have the ability to set a default for the sort by feature in lists. I prefer to sort by FILM NAME, but if I leave the list and go back in, the sort always changes back to LIST ORDER. This option would be helpful on the website and iOS apps. Thanks!

• sacha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having the films list automatically set to appear in the ordering system the user chooses would be very useful.

Watched films are always ordered by release date but I have to toggle it manually to "when added" every time, it's just bothersome.

(As a non-US citizen, the vast majority of the release dates are irrelevant in my country anyway, and they do not reflect the reality of when they were released in "my" cinemas.)

I remember that a few months ago my watchlist would just remember the sort order that I set it to (average rating). At some point this stopped working. Is there a way to reapply this behavior?

• AF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Switching to the Films/Diary view doesn't help for sorting entries in lists, or for sorting entries matching a tag filter. The original submitter is right -- sorting by Added is not helpful when movies are added out of order (and creates a disincentive to retroactively add older titles since they will show up as being added more recently). It would be really useful to be able to sort by Watched based on logged diary entry dates; stick titles which don't have a logged diary entry date at the end, just like what's currently being done for films which don't have running times re: "Sort By Length" or films that don't have release dates re: "Sort by Release Date"

I feel like the "added" option was supposed to facilitate this, but that fails since lots of people (such as myself), retroactively added movies out of order.

• Vince Mitchell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I look at my watchlist I like to see it in order of release date as a good number of these aren't out yet. Saving my last choice of sort would be great!

Thanks,
        - Vince

• AdminMatthew Buchanan (Admin, Letterboxd) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Andrew, no that's not quite true. The notes on a list are visible to anyone, but only if they look at the list in Details view, e.g. http://letterboxd.com/sneak/list/i-wanna-rock/detail/

We are making some changes to make these notes also visible (in a popup or something similar) when in poster view.

But the original question is requesting a way for a list owner to set the default view for any list they create. If Mike prefers you to see his detail view above, he would check an option when creating the list which defaulted it to Detail view instead of poster view. This is something we’ve discussed and are considering.

• Andrew James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok, so going back to original comment. The feature does exist, but those notations are only available to the creator of the list and only if they're in edit mode. The notations should be visible to anyone viewing the list.

• Andrew James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To go along with this, I'd like to add small notations to each film I have in a list that is NOT part of the actual review. For instance, if I make a list of movies with awesome cars I would like to own and I put "Big Trouble in Little China" on the list, I want to note that the film is on the list because of Jack Burton's truck, "The Porkchop Express." But I don't want that information to show up on the actual review I have for the movie.

Just a thought for down the road.

Cheers!

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base