I suggest you ...

Support spoiler tags within a review/list/comment to indicate partial spoilers

It would be great if it was possible to only put a spoiler warning on part of a review. That way, people who haven't seen the movie can read part of the review instead of not being able to read any of it, just because there is ONE spoiler in the review.

83 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AaronT shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I suggest that in placement for a spoiler review or alongside a spoiler review, you would be able to mark specific text as containing spoilers if possible. This means that you can still read a review if it contains spoilers for a film you haven't seen but instead of blocking the entire review, the author can choose specific sentences or paragraphs that contain spoilers.

• tin_can commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The 'hide if marked as spoiler' function is a truly wonderful feature, but unfortunately people just can't be trusted to use it. Including a text-based spoiler warning seems to be what most people do instead these days, and while better than nothing, I'm baffled (and constantly irritated) as to why they do that instead of using a built-in feature that hides the content altogether unless the spoiler-avoider deliberately chooses otherwise. I would love for the feature to be extended so that it puts control over what is hidden in the hands of the person who cares about and is trying to avoid spoilers rather than just in the hands of people who may or may not care and who have already seen the film.

• peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

More specifically, comments on spoiler tagged reviews are not hidden in activity feed. They might not be spoiling anything, but the system should see a spoiler review and then tag any comments on that review as spoiler in activity feed, because you never know! It's likely comments would be discussing spoilers in a tagged review.

• Wouter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That <spoiler> tag in comments and reviews would be a welcome addition indeed, Matthew.

• theSteeeeels commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

problem:

it's an extreme deterrent to frequent letterboxd when my activity feed is clogged up with information and discussion (reviews and comments) about films i have yet to see and want to know nothing about. it should be in each users power to avoid film information/spoilers at all cost, and not the rely on the reviewer to mark it as so

solution:

offer the option for user's activity feed to automatically spoiler tag reviews, ratings and comments for unseen films. additionally, add an option to make it year specific, e.g. "spoiler films from 2010 onwards" -- this is because spoilers tend to effect new releases most. so to recap, the options would look like this:

"Spoiler options for unseen films-
        reviews: yes or no
        comments: yes or no
        ratings: yes or no
        year: *pick year for cut-off point*, e.g. '2011' and onwards

thank you

• AaronT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great! I love how fast everything works on this site. @Andrew: I do realize my headline wasn't the best, good to see somebody changed it ;)

• AaronT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, but that will put a spoiler warning over the whole review. Or else I've just missed something. Pretty sure though..

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base