I suggest you ...

Change up the popular reviews somehow

Currently I see the same thing every time I log on. It's very boring. The popular review should be "Popular this week" or something otherwise these reviews will be in the same order forever.

9 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Ken shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be really nice if under the "Popular reviews" banner there was a delete option so the user could avoid seeing the same five reviews every time they were to log in .

• Benjamin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Everytime I log on since a year or so, I always see only the same peoples review. It looks like it is becoming David Ehrlichs and others personal website, because whenever they write something 50 people reply in one minute.
    This is getting really boring! They do not only feature prominently on the site, where ever I go, but in your newsletter as well.

• MaxwellZ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe instead of simply "popular this week" it could be reviews "popular this week AND posted within the last three days" or what have you?

• Greg Robinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Matthew. Sorry if I missed that metric explanation elsewhere on the site. That's cool that Highest Rated is coming, looking forward to it! I'm a software developer and tester by day, so I'm all too familiar with the mantra "Nothing is ever simple." It's taped to my monitor. ;-)

Oh, and after leaving my previous comment, I spent more time on the "Films" main page and realized that much of what I spoke of is already in place (e.g. Popular with Friends). Still a rookie on here, so pardon the oversight.

Love the site, and I love that you guys actually listen to your users while working to improve things.

• AdminMatthew Buchanan (CEO / Founder, Letterboxd) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Greg, popularity is a metric based on several things, including rating, number of people who’ve watched, logged and liked a film and also how many watchlists it’s in.

Highest rated is coming, but it needs to be correctly weighted to prevent films with a handful of five-star ratings from skewing the result, so it’s not as straightforward as the other sort order options.

• Greg Robinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A clarifying question here, and maybe this could be added to your FAQ: What makes a film "Popular?" Is it most watched? Most liked? Some combination of the two? I would love the ability to switch between Popular This Week, Popular This Month, Popular Year, Popular All Time, and then those same time intervals, but "Top Rated" for each.

I really could care less if tons of people watched a crappy movie. But if a movie is getting consistently 4 or 5 stars, that I'd want to know about. Hence the Top Rated.

Lastly, how about Popular with Friends vs. Popular (All Users). There's probably more than one "ticket" in here. Just thinking out loud, sorry! :)

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base