I suggest you ...

Internal Notification System, rather than emails

I think some sort of internal notification system alerting you to when someone comments on or likes a review of yours would be much preferred to getting emails. This way I won't have to check my emails to review letterboxd activity.

Also, similar to this idea, allow me to follow my favorite people - meaning anytime one of my favorites logs another movie I am notified by the above mentioned system.

178 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
David shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

20 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Coco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We should be able to look at our incoming Activity feed and see whenever someone mentions (@) us in a comment or review. This is a vital part of maintaining communication on a social media platform.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Apparently this is already a thing but i just cant get them to work

• Josh Gardner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like this, I'm on the site enough that I'm not gonna miss anything, not that there is ever anything time sensitive.

and the less email the better in my book.

• Jóckisan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be interesting a notification tool on the site itself, so you know when someone followed or commented on your review, without having to open the email. And it would be good if these notifications also appeared when someone was like your reviews, so you can go on his//her profile and also see your opinion about the movie and maybe also like his/her review, and thus increase the engagement.

• Andrerseits commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This really needs more priorization! I am a really heavy user and I comment and discuss a lot with people in the comments section of reviews. But without a notification feature on the website/in-app it's very hard to keep track of all the discussions. I don't have time to check every comment section I'm active in every 3 hours for new answers.

The concept "Anonymous" posted on February 22th 2017 would be perfect. A notification bell, an alarm that alerts you whenever you receive a new comment or a like, etc.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be helpfull, if you get a notification in the Income-tab when someone comments on a list or a review you also comment, especially if he replies to your comment using @user. I often miss those, it's hard checking the list/review everyday waiting for an answer. The more active you are, the harder it gets to even find the list/review again.
    To avoid spamming your Income, it may be useful, to switch the notification on or off for specific lists/reviews.

• Hayden MacDonald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is criminally underrated feature on most social media sites and should probably be given more attention/priority, given that it would greatly improve the amount and coherence of discussions in film/list comment sections (which is a cornerstone of this website).

• Paul Bulger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Instead of receiving notifications exclusively by email, I'd love to see something along the lines of a facebook notification tab that lets me know whenever I log in that I've received "likes" or comments on my reviews, and when there's comments on conversations I participated it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At the moment there is no real point in following someone, since you don't get any notifications about their activity. Why not implement a notification bell that opens up a small drop down menu that shows the latest movie someone we follow has watched or the latest review they have made.

Here is a concept: http://s9.postimg.org/bjsvz2i5b/letterboxd.png

As well as the drop down menu, there will be a dedicated page to view all notifications that havent been deleted yet.

Adding this would really make the community stronger and set letterboxd apart from other movie tracking sites. Thanks.

• hulashakes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd really like to be notified when someone I follow adds a new review. Email, app notification, on site. Something so I can see it immediately.

• Phips commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

an internal notification system like FB would be SOOO much better. i get fed up with the email notifications but then if i unsubscribe ill never know if someone mentions me in one of those comments or comments on my question or something.

related to that, also like FB, i think itd be cool if you implemented Mentions into this internal notification system. and when a user is typing a comment on a review/list, if someone types "@phi", "phips" would pop up and then they could click it to mention me and then i could see that in my notification system. but this is secondary to the internal notification system which is crucial.

the Incoming tab is helpful but thats only if people comment on my stuff. everyone basically wants all the email notifications to be internalized on Letterboxd.

• JC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just curious as to how this is going with adding an internal notification system.
    I love the activity stream (and the various ways of sorting it) but having to sift through sometimes hundreds of emails a day can be tiresome. At the same time I don't want to turn them off or I'll maybe forget which films/lists I've participated in.

Love this site and the constant work done to continually improve this site (like the edit button)

• Antonomasia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What I would really like to get in a notifications box are replies to discussions on other people's reviews or lists I've commented on.
    The Incoming tab only covers comments on my own posts.

• AdminMatthew Buchanan (CEO / Founder, Letterboxd) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are planning an email digest to notify you of friends reviews. If you're on the site, so you cna use the Incoming activity tab to see what actions have been performed on your content. In-site notifications are on the drawing board.

• Matthias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A small notifier about new notifications next to "activiy" on the top page would be nice, since when I am somewhere on the site it would be nice to be alerted (by a small number maybe) how many new activities are there since I last time visited the page.

• Mike Imboden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could we filter the activity? Or instead of showing a whole review, just have the movies listed (Mike Just reviewed/watched "Bambi") and we could click it to expand it. This would make it quicker to scroll through activity to find reviews, comments, etc.

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base