I suggest you ...

Add groups/clubs that users can join (and tag members when watching films together, etc)

Enable users to create groups they can join, such as "Filmspotting fans," "365 Movies in 365 Days" or groups by location, etc. sort of like Facebook groups.

505 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Brian MulliganBrian Mulligan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

34 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just wanted to say I'm a really big fan of your site and I use it every day religiously, it's honestly such a great motivator to watch films. I have a lot of friends who also use this site and my suggestion stems off that. It would be really cool if this site had a groups function to use to communicate with your friends and share films with each other. It would also be a great way to meet new people on here as it's very hard to find the right people on here who have similar interests in the films I watch. At this point, my friends and I have a group chat on skype we use to discuss and watch films together on and it's be pretty cool if we could stray away from that and use the site we all love that motivates us to watch these films.

Basically when you get to the point that you have a ton of followers, but you might have a select few that you tend to care about their opinions a bit more (or, in my case, people I know in real life), it becomes a pain to have to sift through hundreds of followers, reviews, etc., to find the select persons you care most about.

This option would allow you to, once following someone, "mark" them as a "best friend" (or something) and any time you open a list of reviews/ratings on a movie, those marked will appear at the top. Similarly, these people could appear at the top of your "followers" list to make them easy to find, and their updates could be prioritize in your personal feed above other non-best-friend followers.

• Diego J TutweillerDiego J Tutweiller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would this allow us to form politically centrist user groups in order to tune out white noise from Letterboxd's communist community?

If you watched a movie with another letterboxd user you can link them, and it notifies them to rate and confirm etc

• BrashBirdBrashBird commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With shared lists you can vote for like in Feedback "Collaborate on a list".

Would be helpful to organize with roommates.

• Miklós BotondMiklós Botond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice if we could specify friends (or followers) with whom we watched a particular movie. And maybe a prompt for them if they would like said movie to appear in their Watched list and/or Diary.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I run a private film club group on Facebook where members vote on a pre 1990's movie every week, and we watch and discuss the movie. It works pretty well, and participation is surprisingly robust.

It would be nice to have something similar here. Some sort of mechanism for voting, linking to where to download or stream, live chatting and an easier thread for discussing the movie.

On Letterboxd, you can have dozens, hundreds, even thousands of followers and/or followees. Sometimes, there are a handful of them that you may often view ratings/reviews for more than others, so instead of having to sift through a huge list, it would be nice to be able to select several users who always appear at the top of your follower/following list.

• HeatherHeather commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I actually specifically joined Letterboxd today hoping for this feature. I want to start a Film Club with some online friends and hoped to be able to do that here. Sadly, that doesn't look like an option. It's shocking that something so basic isn't on the site yet. =(

• NadlNadl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be cool if you could state a user that you watched something together, so it is clearly linked to their profile.
        It would also be great to have a shared watchlist, and friends you tagged in movies shown in your reviews.

• Cody LawrenceCody Lawrence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to see all of the basic functions of a check-in added to the diary feature on your site. I see that there's already an existing request to add a location log to the diary entries, but I think it would be great to also add tagging of users who follow each other and who watch movies together. I like to remember who I watched films with, as well as when, where, and what my thoughts were on each film.

• Marco AlmeidaMarco Almeida commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this still happening? I don't know how much time it will take to new features appear on letterboxd but it has been more than 3 years... and I know there's a lot of work to do on the backend of the platform, but on the frontend, there hasn't been much changes happening.

• atbaldwinatbaldwin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

(Real Life Friends, Funny Reviews, In Depth Reviewers, etc.)

I have close friends I follow and am always having to drill into my "network" list to find their latest reviews and activity. I'd love a way for the people I care about most to jump to the top of my starting page, perhaps by letting us "star" certain users. Or maybe more usefully, by allowing the creation of "groups" akin to facebook - e.g., one could create a "Real Life Friends" list of users or a "Funny Reviewers", or otherwise make following disparate users easier.

• Daniela Pacheco Souto MaiorDaniela Pacheco Souto Maior commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mark who you watched the movie with. The other person must agree, and if he/she agrees, can opt to add the movie to his/her watchlist too.

If the person is not a member yet, you can add his/her email and an invite email will be sent. Great way to expand the network.

• John BowersJohn Bowers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to be able to put the people I am following into groups. For example I would like to have a group for my family, one for my close friends, one for people I dont know in real life, who write my favourite reviews. Then I would like to filter my Activity by the groups.

• Dermot BlueStar-Cadet ArnoldDermot BlueStar-Cadet Arnold commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let people add who they watched a movie with. This can link to other Letterboxd profiles, then the other person is asked do they want to add that movie to their Diary.

If they don't have an account, you can still add a person. If they start an account it will pre-populate their diary (if they agree)

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base