I suggest you ...

Add groups/clubs that users can join (and tag members when watching films together, etc)

Enable users to create groups they can join, such as "Filmspotting fans," "365 Movies in 365 Days" or groups by location, etc. sort of like Facebook groups.

726 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Brian Mulligan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

41 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • atbaldwin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

(Real Life Friends, Funny Reviews, In Depth Reviewers, etc.)

I have close friends I follow and am always having to drill into my "network" list to find their latest reviews and activity. I'd love a way for the people I care about most to jump to the top of my starting page, perhaps by letting us "star" certain users. Or maybe more usefully, by allowing the creation of "groups" akin to facebook - e.g., one could create a "Real Life Friends" list of users or a "Funny Reviewers", or otherwise make following disparate users easier.

• Daniela Pacheco Souto Maior commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mark who you watched the movie with. The other person must agree, and if he/she agrees, can opt to add the movie to his/her watchlist too.

If the person is not a member yet, you can add his/her email and an invite email will be sent. Great way to expand the network.

• John Bowers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to be able to put the people I am following into groups. For example I would like to have a group for my family, one for my close friends, one for people I dont know in real life, who write my favourite reviews. Then I would like to filter my Activity by the groups.

• Dermot BlueStar-Cadet Arnold commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let people add who they watched a movie with. This can link to other Letterboxd profiles, then the other person is asked do they want to add that movie to their Diary.

If they don't have an account, you can still add a person. If they start an account it will pre-populate their diary (if they agree)

• Nathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When in a thread, it would be handy to have the option of tagging someone if they are brought up in conversation. In turn that could give them a notification to say they have been tagged in a comment on whichever specific thread it is. This could be controlled similar to how Twitter deals with DM's - limit it to users who follow each other (to avoid spam).

• Scott Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love the idea of Groups having both Lists and Diary. I am currently doing all this with tags, but it's not collaborative.

• lugosy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is totally necessary. The Number of Friends grow each Week but there are only a few Friends you know personally or have a certain Relationship with. It would be great to see the last Activities of those Friends without clicking on everyones Profile.

• lugosy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is totally necessary. The Number of Friends grow each Week but there are only a few Friends you know personally or have a certain Relationship with. It would be great to see the last Activities of those Friends without clicking on everyones Profile.

• Phips commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the idea but let's be careful that we don't turn this into Facebook. The groups should only be film related..if thats possible.

• Janina Himmen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My favorite suggestion so far!

When I plan movie nights with friends I always have to ask them if we already watched the movies together. So this feature would be very helpful.

But it should not be limited to Letterboxd members (if possible). Not every friend wants to create an account just so I can keep track of which movies we saw together.

• Matthew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think Letterboxd would benefit from a more personal way of conversing about films. If you allowed a follower to click on a movie someone else has watched and write a comment, that comment could remain private to the receiver of said comment. From there, the receiver could make the comment public, comment back, or add others to the conversation. I'm a pretty private person, but I like to share my thoughts with my friends. It would be nice to be able to do this somewhat privately from the comfort of Letterboxd. Thanks for listening!

• Jacob Randall Tender commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If it was implemented like that of last.fm, I'd be all over this. The less like FB groups the better. I don't need more notifications.

• Tylea002 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree - it should be based on the style of groups that Last.Fm have, where you can see favourite and most watched movies within a certain groups. All those demographic graphs!

• Tony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, if you watched it alone, you should offer a drop down of why, like,
    1. in the doghouse at the moment
    2. couldn't find someone to go with me
    3. all my friends hated it so went alone
    4. i'd never admit to watching this so watched it while the house was empty

:)

• Matt Powell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm using tags to do something similar (e.g., tagging a film as "with:sophie"), which has dual benefits: it works for people who aren't (yet?) users, and it lets me see all the movies Sophie and I have watched together in a list. There's a possible problem if I know more than one Sophie, but so far this has been a pretty easy method of keeping track of which of my friends I need to spend more time with. Still, it'd be nice to have something official: an auto-complete list of people you follow, perhaps augmented with Facebook or Twitter contacts if your account has access to that data. You could even use this as an upselling mechanism: link non-users to an "invite to Letterboxd" thing?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base