I suggest you ...

Fix the API so changes made to TMDb port over quickly and automatically

I know you're already on top of this to some degree, but I can't stress enough how important it is. Right now the site's biggest problem is that changes made to TMDb never make it to Letterboxd without your intervention. Not just posters, but everything. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to add a director or fix a release date or something on TMDb, only to find that somebody else has already fixed it. And it's not that somebody else fixed it only a few hours previously. I know of many cases where a friend of mine made changes a week ago or more that still don't show up on Letterboxd; there are films he added that still don't come up in search at all, you have to go find the TMDb ID and do it manually. Fixing this needs to be your top priority. A site with a ton of incorrect information that can't be swiftly corrected (so that it shows up on the site, not just the site's data source) is useless.

9 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Mike D'Angelo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
started  ·  AdminMatthew Buchanan (Admin, Letterboxd) responded  · 

TMDb caches its API content for six hours, which means we can’t update changes any quicker than that. We do have a method to perform a manual import for new additions, and will continue to improve the importing process where we can. We are investigating a bug that’s causing the search index not to update, and some film updates not to come across.

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mike D'Angelo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, I did a spot-check on things I remember fixing and most of them have gone through. Not the posters, of course, but I know that's coming later. Also some of the years are still wrong, but I gather that's because you're pulling the U.S. release year even when another country is marked as 'primary' on TMDb (which changes the default year on their site). I think I remember seeing in another comment thread that you had hopes of addressing that at some point.

Anyway, looking good. Hope that bug's cleared up. Thanks.

• AdminMatthew Buchanan (Admin, Letterboxd) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Mike Could you please try looking at those again and let me know if they’re updated? A full refresh has occurred at least once since we did our platform upgrade yesterday, which we believe should have fixed the broken import issue. If you spot changes which haven't imported, please let us know a few example film URLs.

• Mike D'Angelo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just to clarify, the six-hour cache isn't the problem. That's totally acceptable. I'm talking about changes that still don't show up long after being made. And it's not a few isolated examples—if you'd like, I can draw up a list of at least 500 changes I've personally made over six *days* ago that haven't yet ported over. Hopefully the bug you mentioned is the source of this issue and will soon be fixed.

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base