I suggest you ...

Add the new Twin Peaks (2017) as a limited series

Previously I wrote feedback concerning Paolo Sorrentino's The Young Pope (2016), and how it should be on Letterboxd as a limited series (miniseries) so long as the site was including such things.* [See link at the bottom.] I made a detailed argument about the identity of a miniseries and how the format should be considered. As my request was promptly fulfilled, my argument seemingly adopted, I'm unsure how much I need to repeat myself in regard to my latest request, about the 2017 limited series Twin Peaks.

In much of Showtime's promotional material, the title Twin Peaks: The Return is used, but that moniker never appears on the actual show. I'll use just what's on the title screen, Twin Peaks. There are some internet resources that erroneously refer to the revival as season 3 of the original ABC drama that aired in 1990–1991. It is not a season 3 of a television show. Showtime has produced it and presents it as a limited series (no options on the actors' contracts, "limited event series" posted prominently in promotional materials, etc.). When it is submitted to the Academy for the Emmys next year (it missed the cutoff for this year), it will be in the category of best movie/limited series, not best drama.

Indeed David Lynch and Mark Frost conceived of it and talk about it as a long movie that has been broken into parts — its units are not called episodes but parts. This is the definition of a miniseries and the reasoning behind including the format on a movie site like Letterboxd. Yes the 2017 Twin Peaks is a continuation of previous content, but it is as much a sequel to the movie Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (1992) as it is to the previous television show.

Fifteen of the 18 parts of this limited series have aired so far, and I can testify not only that is it as much of a movie as its creators describe, but that I think it might be the best movie made in the last ten years. Certainly it is a benchmark in cinema, and it would be a shame if it were not available on Letterboxd for users to log, discuss, rate, review, and list the way other limited series are such as Roots, Lonesome Dove, The Young Pope, and Top of the Lake.

I've said my piece for now, but am ready to continue the discussion if necessary. I thank whoever is reading for your consideration.

* [Link to The Young Pope discussion: http://feedback.letterboxd.com/forums/136771-general/suggestions/19164232-why-was-the-young-pope-removed]

41 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Cormac shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
started  ·  AdminMatthew Buchanan (CEO / Founder, Letterboxd) responded  · 

We’re working on a solution to allow us to continue to import mini series from TMDb even once they are moved to its TV section. Once this is ready, we’ll be better placed to make a call about the inclusion of this content.

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Cormac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the meantime this mini-series could be retained as other mini-series have been retained, no? But if that's not something you want to get into right now, I get it.

• Cormac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My Pro membership in this website lapses in a couple months. I will not be renewing it if this issue is not resolved.

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base