I suggest you ...

Improve GoWatchIt matching algorithm

There are a number of titles that letterboxd gets wrong when using the gowatchit service filter option. For instance, navigating to the "Okja" page and clicking "More services" under the "Watch" banner, the page from gowatchit lists the title as "Oka!" which is an entirely different movie. This explains why "Okja" does not show up on the Netflix service filter in letterboxd, even though it is a Netflix original.

Those names are similar enough, but it also makes some nonsensical errors - "The Human Surge" links to a movie called "The Lovers and the Despot". There are many more examples.

The service filter option is the main reason I opted for the paid letterboxd membership, so I think it's important to tighten up whatever algorithm is linking with the gowatchit database.

23 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Scott Trinkle shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  AdminMatthew Buchanan (Admin, Letterboxd) responded  · 

Thanks for these examples Scott. We’ll try to improve the matching algorithm we use to locate GWI titles. Please feel free to use the Report function on any other films you spot with bad matches.

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ana RC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that it is very often unreliable. Other movies with the same issue are Lincoln (2012) (only a different Lincoln from 2012 is available with a subscription on amazon prime) and Blow-up (it says it is available on filmstruck, but it's just the Blow-Up documentary that is available, not the film).
        Justwatch is a way more accurate website.

Feedback and Knowledge Base