I suggest you ...

Improve keyword relevancy when searching for lists

No matter what I search for, some "Edgar Wright" list is the first hit. That list can't possibly be the most appropriate hit for *every* single search term.

This site has a huge bias for huge lists over tight and focused lists. If I search for "girly movies", a list with 1000 movies scattered across all genres is not what I had in mind.

11 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Justin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jonnie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This might just be me but I don't find your current search function the easiest to use. For instance, if I search for a list I've made, say - 'Best Original Screenplay Nominees', many popular lists come up, but not anything to do with Best Foreign Language Nominees. Tags don't seem to help. Of course why would you want to search for own list when you can find it sitting there in your own lists. However, failing to find a 'Best Foreign Language Nominees' list prompted me to make it in the first place, but now I think of it there could be many, just unfindable with the current search function.

• Bob Hovey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree about the "did you mean" thing. As far as the first issue goes, I deal with it by using the filters on the right as soon as the results come up. Selecting "directors" should get rid of the lists and put Harmony Korine on top.

• Nate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The search engine is broken. Searching for last names of directors or actors gives you random lists and little-known people with the same/similar last names. For example, searching for "Korine" should really give you the director Harmony Korine as the top result as he's by far the most notable person with that last name. Instead it gives you 11 obscure lists with a combined total of 9 likes and 9 directors/actors with a combined total of 16 films to their names. Harmony Korine isn't even on the first page! There must be a formula to what appears when you search something however it obviously doesn't work. Also, misspelling a search should bring up a "Did you mean?" similar to a Google search. Another example, searching "Ghost in the Sell" instead of "Ghost in the Shell" brings up 20 completely random results ranging from "Chuckle Brothers - Spooky Goings On Live" to JR Bourne.

General: Website

Feedback and Knowledge Base