I suggest you ...

Opinion pieces (essay/article etc.)

I often find myself inspired whilst writing a review and instead of (only) writing about the film I watched, I end up with an opinion piece about a whole genre or a director or a filming technique etc. However, I never include them in the reviews because it doesn't feel like the right place. I feel like there should/could be a dedicated section for such pieces.

Letterboxd is described as ‘a social network for sharing your taste in film’ and we all know that taste is not developed through simply rating movies. We can also analyze and review; why do we rate a movie with three or four stars? We cannot review films in vacuums. Whether you like it or not, a horror movie gets viewed within the context of the horror genre and subsequently within the context of film in general, not even to mention directors, or time etc. So why not embrace this?

The beauty of Letterboxd is that it creates a platform where (talented) people get a voice to talk about film(s) that would otherwise never be heard. And subsequently, it gives those same (talented) people the opportunity to be influenced by those voices. I get excited just thinking about what it would be like if there was a possibility to do the same with opinion pieces, where people could write about a specific genre or director, a certain era, a movement, filming techniques etc. You can see there is an interest for this by looking at the list section and you even do it yourself in your news section through Q&A or Intermission pieces.

Does expending this into a dedicated section on the platform fit with your idea of what Letterboxd should be? Does anyone else out there think it does? Is this something that could become a reality in the future, even if lightyears away?

2 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Julian shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google