I suggest you ...

Disallow reviews and ratings from being created until a film is released, be it at a festival, screening, theatrical, or otherwise.

While you can't stop people who haven't seen a film from rating and reviewing it, films should be "locked" until its first screening, be it at a film festival or a premiere. e.g. a film that isn't released until June should not have any ratings or reviews prior to its release date unless an early screening can be verified.

25 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Brandon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • DannyVFilms commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To start, I pulled a few numbers to give context to the issue I'm sure you know already exists:

The Batman (2020)
    * 93 Watched
    * Average Rating: 4.0
    * 1 Review
    * Word Count: 41
    Flashpoint (2020)
    * 330 Watched
    * Average Rating: 3.6
    * 8 Reviews:
    * Avg Word Count: 11.5
    * Longest: 30
    Sherlock Holmes 3 (2019)
    * 349 Watched
    * Average Rating: 3.5
    * 2 Reviews
    * Avg Word Count: 19.5
    * Longest: 31
    Untitled Avengers Movie (2019)
    * 113 Watched
    * Average Rating: 4.0
    * 3 Reviews
    * Avg Word Count: 9.66
    * Longest: 16

So I have two thoughts for how this could potentially be fixed. Lock reviews entirely until we have entered the scheduled release year of the film. After that, there's obviously still a large group of people that will try and affect the rating average of a film, so I propose requiring several pieces of information to be able to post a review before the film is out (because some people are press).

It could just be as simple as limiting pre-release reviews to Pro or Patron members, but I had a few other ideas in mind as well. I showed word counts up above because most people will keep it short. In theory, placing a word minimum on a pre-release review would discourage the majority, and for the rest a simple disclaimer box that their account could be suspended, or a field entry to ask where they saw the movie before release could be used to ensure less fraud. Just a few thoughts for you. Love the platform!

• AdminMatthew Buchanan (Admin, Letterboxd) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Samuel: some people are legitimately able to see films ahead of even these dates, as rought cuts or special screenings, etc. We are considering a 3- or 6-month window prior to these dates as a possibility. Feel free to report nonsense reviews on unreleased films.

• Samuel Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seen as data is populated from tmdb, perhaps they can use the earliest release date they have listed as a way to do this?

• Dan Browne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What really annoys me on IMDB and the likes is the amount of ratings a film gets even when it's still a year or so out from being released.

The only potential problem I see with this is when people see pre release/premiere screenings of films if you're in the industry or have worked on a feature... Then you wouldn't be able to mark it as seen... Dunno surely there is a nicer way around this.

General: Website

Feedback and Knowledge Base