I suggest you ...

Advertising on Letterboxd

Please post here if you have questions or concerns around advertising on Letterboxd, and a representative from our ad partner (Advally) will respond.

5 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AdminMatthew Buchanan (Admin, Letterboxd) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Advally commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@knaldskalle -

Where are you currently located? There are many differences with the types of ads which show depending on your part of the world. In the case of Europe, we use only contextual-targeted advertising so no tracking takes place. In the US, Canada, Australia and many other parts of the world, we use only top-tier high quality programmatic partners to fill the advertising.

I can assure you that everything which happens here is in compliance with laws and IAB standards, and this doesn't include tracking specific users activity outside of the domain. This also does not include javacript and malicious code.

Malware in advertising is always spread when companies are using exceedingly sketchy networks to make more profit, and we will not do any of that ever.

If you even smell a whiff of a problem, I encourage you to contact us and we will take care of it. I'm also more than happy to explain how all of it works if there's any confusion left over.

• Knaldskalle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"we're doing this completely transparently."

That sounds cool. Let's talk transparency, then.

Will any of the ads will track the activity of Letterboxd users outside of Letterboxd? Will any of the ads will run javascript or other potentially malicious code? Will Letterbox and/or Advally assume the legal liability for any malware spread through your platform?

Also @snowboardjunkie I'd like to really reinforce the fact that we're doing this completely transparently. If you have any problems with the ads, please share it directly with us. We are here to make sure that the audience has a great advertising experience, and we'll be attentive to all problems that crop up.

Advertising works the best when there's a balance between audience experience and revenue needed to support the business!

• AdminMatthew Buchanan (Admin, Letterboxd) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Snowboardjunkie Specifically in response to your feedback, we have added advertising in a way that we hope isn’t too intrusive or offensive. There are no take-over ads or units that overlap content in mobile views, etc. Our aim is to be respectful of our audience wherever possible. Thanks for the comment.

• Snowboardjunkie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whatever you do don’t give polite feedback that “you will leave Letterboxd If the ads become annoying like Facebook”. Your comments will be swiftly removed for...why?

Does my opinon not matter unless it supports you Letterboxd?

Hey everyone!

Really happy to be working with Letterboxd, and as Matt mentioned we're extremely happy to help out with any issues you see around ads on the site.

It is always very helpful to get a Screen Capture of anything weird you see, as well as Browser/Device/OS information!

Feedback and Knowledge Base