Import reviews from Flixster
There is another similar thread, but it's listed as being closed and I wanted to see if there were others with this particular request. I did look to see if there was an export option (and emailed Flixster to that effect), but couldn't find anything. I've got almost 900 rating on Flixster and would love to move them here!
@Ben You can import content as long as the column headers match those in our documentation. We'll happily refund your Pro fee if the import doesn’t do what you want, but have a read here first to see what columns we support: http://letterboxd.com/about/importing/
You'll want to import ratings into your account (as opposed to a list, or your Watchlist), so you should start here (once you’ve upgraded): http://letterboxd.com/import/
... An hour later and I figured out how to get my Flixster reviews to a CSV file, but don't know if I can easily import the data and don't want to become a Pro member to potentially find out I can't
I would like to export ratings from Flixster also. I have over 1000.
Iestyn Lloyd's instructions/ link didn't make much sense to me though and adding "?scoreTypes=numeric&page=1&limit=zzz" to the end of my ratings url did nothing :/
Any suggestions for a novice like myself to get this done would be really appreciated!
Jason -- How did you end up making this work?
I figured it out! Thanks so much for your post, Lestyn!
I'm also clueless about converting the JSON file to CSV. I got a big block of text on the webpage that I saved to my computer (though it didn't give it a file extension). I tried using an online converter, but it didn't work.
How long is "ages"? I have 872 reviews...
Iestyn Lloyd commented
I followed this guide for getting the JSON file and converting to CSV, if you know what you're doing it takes 2 minutes http://melitamihaljevic.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/sunday-hacking-get-your-movie-ratings.html
- Login to Facebook
- Access the Flixster page in the apps menu
- Once on the Flixster FB app, access your Account via the profile
- Under your account, you'll see a link to access your ratings, click on this - mine was 350 movies, hence me wanting to get these out and doing this
- This only displays 8 movies at a time though, and you need to click on Load More at the bottom of the page
- In the URL however, you'll see your Flixster user ID e.g. http://www.flixster.com/user/xxxxxxxxx/ratings/ a ~9 digit number shown here by x's - make a note of this number
- Now insert your Flixster ID number into the following URL: https://www.flixster.com/api/users/xxxxxxxxx/movies/ratings?scoreTypes=numeric&page=1&limit=zzz adjusting limit=zzz where this is the number of ratings you made for movies (mine was 350). You can also adjust page if you like. With 350 mine took ages to load but it did complete
- The JSON code may look like gibberish so you may want to go to https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/jsonview/chklaanhfefbnpoihckbnefhakgolnmc and install this extension for Google's Chrome browser which will allow you to view it in a more meaningful manner
- You can go to File > Save As... and save the JSON file to your computer
For Pro members, we have an importer detailed here: http://letterboxd.com/about/importing/
If Flixster provides a way to export your data, you can probably reformat it to work with this format.
Scott Meaney commented
I agree. I'd love to switch over, but I have WAY too much time invested in Flixster to start from scratch.
Thom McKiernan commented
Same situation as me, I have over 600 ratings (half with proper reviews). It would be the best to have Letterboxd import them all automatically