I suggest you ...

Private accounts (and/or private Reviews, Diary Entries and Ratings)

I'd like the option if keeping my account private, like how Twitter handles private accounts.

1,194 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

94 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jimbo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to get a fresh start on Letterboxd when it comes to writing but I would like to see my past thoughts on movies. A private review feature would be very helpful.

• Jimbo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to be able to make dumb reviews I written in my new days on Letterboxd Private. I think this is an interesting idea.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, it has now been exactly FOUR YEARS since your last post about this matter. Could we get an update? Are you still "thinking" about it? Or have you decided not to do it, ever? Please tell us!

I don't want to sound entitled - especially because I know Letterboxd is more like a hobby to you devs - but I also think you have a moral resposibility towards your users. It's not nice to trick people into joining your site, only for them to find out that you don't offer ANY privacy controls. It makes me feel like there is some sort of sinister plan behind all of this. Are you just trying to cash in on with our data, or something?

I like Letterboxd. I've been a member for several years. But I've never written a single review, or invited any of my friends to join, simply because of this fundamental flaw on your site. (Needless to say, a 'premium membership' is totally out of the question too.) The year is not 1999 or even 2009 anymore. In this day and age, you simply can't offer a "social site" where users have this little control over their privacy!

• Guromshoba commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's two facets to this problem that I'd like to see addressed. Users (pro users?) should be able to control the following:

1) Privacy with regard to who can or can't view my letterboxd information, i.e. Public (everyone), Followers only, Private (only me)

2) Privacy with regard to how my letterboxd information is found, i.e. is my information searchable by search engines? yes/no.

These are both commonly found online privacy features.

• Ratso commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm going to chime in to agree. Blocking users is not the same as being private too, blocking says "stay away from me" to one person but private is just like choosing to keep a door closed. Going private isn't always a reaction to a problem, just a preference, and I think a lot of users like having that option!

This site provides an amazing and unique service for movie fans with a great design and layout. Industry professionals who can't publicly divulge some diary details, fans/filmmakers who see their film viewing as a personal, private experience and people who just don't want anything like a "diary" too public, all want the option to use this very useful website without any of the social media aspect. Some people enjoy the promotion and contact, but others just like the lists! This would be greatly appreciated by a lot of users so I *really* hope that this gets attention in the coming year.

• Devin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I came here to suggest this, only to see it was already here, with a lot of support. I’m sure I can’t be the only one who uses Letterboxd and works in the industry, which means sometimes I see movies that haven’t been released yet and so I can’t talk about, but that I want to keep track of in my diary. It’d be great to be able to list them for my own record, but keep them private.

• Anthony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we have an update please on whether this is still planned, because it has been listed as planned for nearly 4 years now. Can we assume that you have decided not to implement this feature?

• Michelledru commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could we have an update regarding how soon this planned feature will be implemented?

• Aaron Tank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that privacy settings are greatly needed. The ability to filter which activities are posted to my activity stream, to selectively remove activity from my activity stream, etc. I don't necessarily want every list I like and movie I add to my watchlist and review I post to be publicly posted in my activity stream.

• Need commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will delete/leave Letterboxd if diaries and watched list don't have the option of being private. This isn't Yelp.

• t commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Matthew Buchanan

Thanks for having flagged this feature request as planned. However, it was more than 3 years ago...

Currently it is the 4th most voted out of 1392 features (as of 07may2018 on http://feedback.letterboxd.com/forums/136771-general), which shows that this is relevant for a big percentage of your user base.

I want to join my (user)voice to this group. I came here because I just realized that my watched list and my watching diary are openly published for everybody to see, including the dates! It suddenly felt like being naked on the street for a while without anybody telling me I was. In this day and age it is hopefully not necessary to go again through the details of the importance of online privacy.

If you could find a moment, it would be greatly appreciated if you could state your position about this highly requested feature.

Many thanks for (re)considering our request.

Best regards

• Chris H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fantastic app but how come it's 5 years later and still no private note feature? Otherwise it's perfect for what i'm looking for. I am the same as ALL the rest below. Please just enable a 'Keep review private' box!!

• Melissa Halka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please provide this service.

Watching films is a deeply personal experience and I don't have any interest in having a dialogue with everyone about the films that touch my life.

If I were to post a full film review, I would like to have had the time to draft it and look at it myself for a while before publishing to the full community.

• Jorge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree - came here just to post this! Would love an option to have private reviews/diary entries. I sometimes feel like recording thoughts that I'd rather keep to myself lol.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

its been 5 years now and no sign of this? i would like to keep my watched films private and only share my liked films publicly.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base