I suggest you ...

Private accounts (and/or private Reviews, Diary Entries and Ratings)

I'd like the option if keeping my account private, like how Twitter handles private accounts.

1,164 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

94 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like a timeframe for this. There are a lot of people I don't want to see my profile, it makes me nervous to even use my account when it's 100% public. Would urgently love it to be able to make it so only the people I follow can see me.

this would be really helpful to me as well. there are certain ratings that I don't want to appear on my page, but I'd like to keep track of them privately.

• AniMagus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd really love it if there was an option to make our profiles private, and each user could set what kind of privacy option would he/she use.. for example, the account could be visible for everyone; or only for the ones the member follows.

• Ooha Maruri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, i don't want anyone to know what i'm watching AND when. I just wanna keep track of the movies i watch for myself. I don't want anyone else to know. So i think privacy would make a huge difference here, to most users. :) Anyway, it's an awesome thing you're doing. I just hope you bring it up quickly.

• Anthony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too am looking for somewhere to write reviews of films that I don't want public, so I don't get hung up on punctuation and making things clear for a stranger reading them, but just make a few notes to remind myself in years to come.

• Huh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

People want privacy and your solution is to send our reviews to other sites. Brilliant. No more pro or patron for me. No more reviews either.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree that this would be a really useful feature. Blocking people isn't really a substitute when they can still easily view your profile and everything you do on the site.

• Spooooooon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, any movement on this idea? Sick of the idiots like Todd Gaines on this site.

• Normunds Rustanovics commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My native language is not English, so it is weird that my latvian "review" shows up under the movie. If all is public, you will eventually end up with a need for language filter somewhere

• Nuno commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to be able to control what I want (or do not want) people to see in my profile. The site is a great social network, but it could also be a great data base for personal use with this option.

• Zeke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

First: privacy settings. Sometimes I want to write about a film but know what I write could be misunderstood by my friends/followers and might offend them. I wish very badly there was a privacy option for the film reviews.

Second: It would be great if in the review/diary section I could specify where I watched the given film. For instance, if I watched it at Cinemark in Plano, Texas, it would be awesome if I could keep track of that. Or if I watched it at home on my laptop it would be a fun opportunity for my friends to rag on me: "Come on! That movie needs to be watched on the big screen!"

I love your website! Keep up the good work.

i'm glad you guys are looking into this. it's really the only reason i'm not more active. I thought this would be more like facebook and less like the comments section on youtube. I wasn't in here a week before someone wrote 2-3 paragraphs on what a terrible, ignorant person I was because i liked a film. i'd rather be able to pick and choose who i share with. I'm on here with my family and I'd like to bring my kids in, but not when any jerk can berate and belittle someone else. No matter how 'sophisticated' the belittling is to avoid being reported. I'd even pay for it. Cool site by the way, i've had a lot of fun with my friends and family!

• lamombi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes, please. i make notes such as "watched this sometime between April and August 2014", which would be meaningless to other users.

• Zeke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know part of the point of this website is social networking via movie-watching, which is A LOT of fun. But I think if there were privacy options where I could add a film to my "diary" or review a film just for myself to see would be a great addition. For instance, huge networking sites such as Facebook and YouTube are meant to be socially interactive, but they both offer great privacy options where you can post things only you can see. Sometimes I want to add films so that I can remember having seen them rather than showing my followers that I saw them. Lately I have not been reviewing movies here because I don't want to share it with my followers. A privacy option would keep me reviewing movies on Letterboxd!

Love this website! Thanks for doing what you do.

• Tyrant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd also love to be able to add some private notes/remarks about movies, as I don't want to always write full (public) reviews.

• fommes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As I add films to my diary, I would love to have a feature for private notes (instead of a public review). I know there's an option for private notes, but only if you additionally add the film to a list.
    I think it would be handy for various reasons: to not forget ideas you had about a film without needing to write up a review right away, taking note of noteworthy scenes in a film for yourself so that you can remember it much later, etc.

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base