I suggest you ...

Ability to hide or downvote reviews

I'm finding more and more that the top reviews for a film aren't to my taste; not for the score but how they're written - a critically reviled film seems to start an arms race on who can be the wittiest in one sentence or who can be the most over the top excited about a good film rather than go into any reason why (see the top 2 reviews for Django Unchained, as a quick example)

I know that everyone uses the site in different ways and has alternative tastes to mine but I think several of the top reviews undersell the site and sometimes put me off reading more of them. Would it be possible to hide reviews or downvote (although I can understand the concerns of bringing negativity to the site) Or maybe just list Friends reviews above popular reviews as the default view for a film?

107 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Ben Hart shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • anonym commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be done because well-worded and thought-provoking reviews are shunned aside from these "reviews". Take these film classics:

Brat Pitt's "review" of Psycho

"the biggest twist of this filmè is that norman bates is pretty hot"

322 likes

Katie's "review" of Blade Runner

"not to be THAT BITCH or anything but Harrison Ford can slurp me like he slurps those noodles any day of the week"

806 likes

truman segal's "review" of 2001: A Space Odyssey

"only saw this in theaters so that when pretentious people talk about it i can yawn"

175 likes

Hannah's "review" of The Godfather

"haha they made that scene from zootopia into a movie"

122 likes

Adrian Balboa's review of Easy Rider

"men are boring and so is this movie"

• Ben B. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, ranking by popularity is problematic because it tends to put every user who has a small following at the top of every page. It really doesn't suggest any wider appreciation outside of this group however. If downvotes were allowed a lot of these people would be downvoted into oblivion. This would make it easier for other voices to be heard leading to a wider variety of opinion on the site.

• Roger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most of the reviews around here piss me off. There should be an option to hide reviews from everyone but the people you follow

• theSteeeeels commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i posted this idea myself a while back. i think a forum is probably needed... those reviews are just people wanting to start conversations.. let them do it in a proper place... but keep the review section for actual reviews

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base