I suggest you ...

Better syncing with posters from TMBd

Too often Letterboxd doesn't reflect what's currently the default poster (highest rated and in English) on TMBd. Despite that changes happen to posters on TMBd, it more often than not doesn't get reflected on Letterboxd.

23 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  AdminMatthew Buchanan (Admin, Letterboxd) responded  · 

We have different poster rules from TMDb, so we prefer to lock posters once films gain a level of popularity, to ensure long-term consistency.

We prefer original theatrical posters over DVD covers, which often get upvoted over there. If there is a theatrical release poster on TMDb that’s better than our one, we’ll often change it: please use the Report facility on the film and let us know.

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any news on this? Still a lot of times where the default TMDB poster is much better than the one on Letterboxd.

Any news on improving this? One of the big appeals of the site for me is the use posters, and it's a bit frustrating that there's no way to implement or even suggest a change (without contacting you guys direct). Incidentally, is it so important that the poster is the English language version? Often the 'foreign' alternatives are better.

• AdminMatthew Buchanan (Admin, Letterboxd) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Either way we can't do it. TMDb always shows English unless there is no English, but we don't know the language of the poster we receive, it's just the highest-rated in any language under the v2.1 API. When we tried auto-updating, half the English posters on the site were replaced with foreign versions.

When we switch to the v3 API, we get all posters and the language for each, so we can better choose which one to show. Sorry I don't have an ETA for this yet.

Sorry I should have been clearer, TMBd mostly makes the highest rated English poster the default poster. But that's besides the point, I would just like it to be so that whatever is the default (English or not) poster on TMBd becomes the poster on Letterboxd. This is not the case now. If that would work, us members of Letterboxd would have at least a little control over what's get used on Letterboxd.

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base