I suggest you ...

Don't delete user's comments when they delete their account

I don't think you should be deleted user's comments when they delete/deactivate their account. When the comments are deleted/removed it makes all the comment threads illegible and all messed up because people are responding to a comment that no longer exists.

50 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Patrick Sandberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Lisa- I like that! I was also thinking of replacing the text of the comment with *COMMENT REMOVED*. Six of one, whatever they can manage.

• Lise commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One way might be to keep the comments but change the user name to Anonymous.

• Patrick Sandberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand not all jurisdictions allow for retention of all data, comments, whatever. I just wish there was SOME indication of the removed material. As someone who's recently lost some innocuous comments from another user, it's pretty jarring. Surely, that's not too much to ask.

• Antonomasia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would not be legal in some jurisdictions if the posts HAD to remain.
        Any reasonably intelligent reader who is used to using online forums or even Facebook (where users are free to remove comments) would be able to see that comments have been removed when a discussion does not follow.
        I am all for providing a CHOICE for the comments to remain or not but it is overriding the rights of a user simply for trivial entertainment purposes or the tidiness preferences of others to force the comments to remain.

• KeithTalent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely support this request. As the site grows you are going to have more people coming and going; if all of their content is deleted when they leave, it makes certain content unreadable and detracts from the site as a whole.

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base