I suggest you ...

Expand Block User

Block user needs to block everything. I don't want to see said person's reviews or anything they have to add to the site. Certain people think this website is their personal blog.

421 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Matthew BuchananAdminMatthew Buchanan (Admin, Letterboxd) responded  · 

At this time there are performance and cacheability impacts of blocking members everywhere that preclude us from doing this. In the future we would like to address this better.

36 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I blocked david ehrlich but still see his reviews under every movie. That's annoying.

Is there any update on this?
        I'm a bit sick of reading about unrelated political opinions on the movie pages..

• MightygilMightygil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hope all possibilities are still being looked at for this. As great as letterboxd is its usefulness is greatly diminished when so many top "reviews" are not even reviews, but mostly people sharing their views on religion and government instead of the movie it's listed under. For something that is generally really user friendly this continues to be a big frustration.

• Ben B.Ben B. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This basically stems from the problem of basically everything on letterboxd being ranked by popularity (or "likes"). It has the effect of taking a small minority of views that have a cliquish following and throwing them to the top of every page, much to the annoyance of everyone outside these cliques. I see three ways around this problem: 1.) Expand the block user function as discussed here. 2.) Don't rank things by popularity. Mix it up a little bit, add some randomness into what posts get featured. 3.) Introduce downvotes. This balances out the different viewpoints allowing more moderate views to rise to the top.

• Jack VerhaegJack Verhaeg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you block somebody on letterboxd, you should not be able to see them on the website at all, especially on the film's landing pages under 'popular reviews.'

• Peter McFrehleyPeter McFrehley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to be able to blind myself from the same 3 or 4 people who's reviews continue to show up on the main page every time I check it. The flaw is really with Letterboxd who should make it possible so that a variety of people show up on the main page, but if they won't do that then at least allow us to block people. I need need new reviewers to grow sick of....

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please prioritize this! I'm sick and tired of people using reviews and lists as a political soapbox.

I totally agree with this. Please make it a feature. If i see one more davidehrlich review I will go insane.

• RobRob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please introduce this! What's the point of blocking users if their reviews are still on the front page?

• ZacZac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please introduce this. I'm sick of seeing political reviews and joke reviews on film pages. Blocking these people does nothing except prevent them from commenting on my reviews.

• biffbiff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please introduce this, i'm sick to death of seeing david ehrlich's obnoxious writing at the top of every page

• Silent BobSilent Bob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i seriously never want to see anything by Sally Jane Black again.what a whining idiot. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let us hide users.everywhere I turn on this site its Todd Gains, Sally Jane Black and the rest of the moronic idiots that make up your popular users.also is there a button to delete people who rate the Star Wars prequels over half a star.like I press a button and they just die?

• fiffy_ricofiffy_rico commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i think this is a great idea -- I get why Mr. Gaines is popular, sometimes I'll just shoot the shit with friends after watching a movie, throwing around lines and scenes and stuff we liked. But that's not thoughtful, it's not analysis, it's not critique... it's just in-jokes!
        Which is completely totally fine! Whatever! People enjoy it, I don't care that it exists... I just don't have much interest in it.

• Patrick JensenPatrick Jensen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we please just make this feature possible? I'm tired of watching reviews by hacks such as Matt Lynch, Eli Hayes and James Healey.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base