I suggest you ...

Browse films by a specific language/country.

239 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Dr Fentanes shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  AdminMatthew Buchanan (Admin, Letterboxd) responded  · 

We now have support for browsing by country and language. As some films have multiple languages listed, browsing French-language films (https://letterboxd.com/films/language/french/ as an example) will show English-language films as well (where those films have portions of dialog in French). We’d like to improve this in the future to be able to show films whose principal language is French.

24 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • PA Box commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+ 1, I'm French and would love to browse French movies by popularity instead of "Foreign films"

• Mackenzie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

in the film description somewhere show what language the film is in and is it silent or not.

• Gypsy Darkness commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

while there is a great deal of information available on Letterboxd, there a great deal more available on both TVDB and IMDB. I completely understand wanting to preserve a clean set of fairly simple information, but what language a movie is in seems to be one of those important ones. As it stands, in order to see a film's language I must visit the IMDB page from the Letterboxd page, and that feels very unnecessary.

On a similar note, how does a film get classified as 'foreign'? Apparently I haven't watched any, according to your filters, even though I know for a fact several of them aren't even in English, much less domestically produced.

• Mike C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would be very interested in having country-of-production data on the films in Letterboxd. That way, when viewing my Watched Films, I could sort by specific countries, just like I'm able to sort by year, decade, or genre.

• Barrabas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be awesome to be able to sort your films by director or country. It's time to win the battle against FilmAffinity!!!

• happy user commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

so you can see where most of your watched movies come from in your personal 'Year in Review'

• Lisa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, here's an example of how flags are displayed on multi-country film page on another film data-base: http://www.kinopoisk.ru/film/491724/
        I understand that it's a totally different design but still, those multiple flags work rather nice.

• Lisa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What if it's displayed not as a flag, but as a tab like Crew and Studios?
        Is there a possibility this suggestion will be reviewed again?

• Eunju commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Especially because this is site full of cinephiles, could there be a filter for country of production or main language of film? I find that the foreign films category is limiting because it lumps everything not Hollywood together.

Thank you! Love the site and regret that I just discovered it!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know for a fact that TMDb has this info, and it'd be cool to search for movies based on languages they're filmed in/otherwise contain.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand that most of the data for movies is taken off of TMDb, but can IMDb or another database with such a feature be used? Even if a movie has several countries that produced it, I'd still like to know

• butchji commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

a Country Filter for the films would be awesome. A way to easily filter out the best movies of each country.

Love your site, keep it up!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base