I suggest you ...

Easy way to fix posters

So many movies have low quality posters, there needs to be an easier way for users to suggest a better poster. I also believe that the original art should be used and not some horrible photoshopped version which I see all the time. Editing out text from a poster messes up the design and makes most of them look awful because they are designed to have that text on there. I also think it is a bit of an insult to some of the amazing poster designers, especially when people mess up with iconic and classic posters by famous designers. It's even worse as most of the people editing these posters have no idea how to use photoshop and it's painfully obvious even in the thumbnails where they've tried to patch it up. It makes this website less pleasant to visit because it's all very ugly and low quality. Please consider implementing a feature where we can suggest a poster correction or hire someone who will go around and correct the posters.

45 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Rachel Bell shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
started  ·  AdminMatthew Buchanan (CEO / Founder, Letterboxd) responded  · 

Letterboxd favours original poster releases over DVD covers and artwork from subsequent releases (in most cases). We also favour versions of original posters with credits reduced or removed — such credits do not fare well at the small sizes we display posters at, and we feel in most cases the simpler visual presentation works better.

Unfortunately, due to the subjective nature of voting for posters, there isn’t an easy way to enable this to everyone’s satisfaction. But we’re happy for you to report the odd film using the flag icon in order to let us know if a superior poster exists on TMDb, notwithstanding the above caveats.

7 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Orestes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@MatthewBuchanan Hi Matthew, last I heard from Mike Harding the poster for My New Partner was awaiting the developers' altering a bug in the system that caused it to automatically grab the English-language poster even in spite of manual changes. Do you have an update on this as it's been a few weeks?

• AdminMatthew Buchanan (CEO / Founder, Letterboxd) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@marienbad For very popular films that have had their poster locked, the best way to report them is via the "flag" icon on the film's page. For less popular films, try upvoting the TMDb poster that best represents the first-release poster of the film, and we should pull in that update accordingly.

• marienbad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having newly registered with Letterboxd, I feel the same about this as the other commentators in this thread. The "plastic and fake" quality of the poster currently displayed for "Das Cabinet des Dr Caligari" is particularly obvious – this American/English poster has nothing to do with the aesthetic of the original. At the same time, a gorgeous original poster is indeed featured on TMDb.

• Max commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Those textless posters are awful, please change that criteria. They look so plastic and fake, and they dont even work better in small sizes.
    You should also favor posters in their original language. So many great japanese posters are not seen (Yojimbo, Seven Samurai, Throne of Blood) because have some new Criterion DVD cover instead.

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this. And it really annoys me seeing LB replacing gorgeous original posters with those truly ugly thumbnails taken from who knows where... TMDB? Netflix?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base