I suggest you ...

Profile -> Films: Merge "Watched" and "Rated"

I think it would nicer if "Watched" and "Rated" would be merged in one page, with the thumbnail size of "Watched" (small posters). They would have the watched and rating icons, first overlaid, and second below the poster.

When I'm seeing friends' profiles, I want to see all this information at one look. And normally watched/rated overlap to a very high degree. I don't see the downside in merging these two view.

Also, I'd implement intelligent pagination (if you scroll down, a new set of films is added to current page) like Twitter and Facebook do, instead of discrete "Next/Prev" pagination.

10 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Ricardo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ricardo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Related to this comment, and insisting on simplification: I somehow feel that the Diary feature and the Watched film list are partially duplicating functionality, and potentially making the users' mental model needlessly complex. They feel to different, separate, ways of using Letterboxd.

"Unordered watched film list" vs separate "Ordered watched list".

I would prefer all my watched films to be on the same place, on the same mental box, regardless if I bother to add the date I watched it or not. E.g, I will add the date of the films I watch now, but I won't add a date for films I watched ages ago (because I don't remember the exact date).

The only thing I'd keep from Diary would be "Watch dates". I don't see much utility in the extra Diary features as "tags" or the "Watched for the second time" checkbox.

Currently, adding films to your "Diary" feels cumbersome, it's much more easier to just mark film as watched. It's not easy to add previous films you have already marked as Watched to your diary.

I think that the [...] popup menu should have an additional item "Add/remove date watched", only visible for watched films. You click there, and another popup shows a date picker.

And I'd get rid of the "Add to diary" dialog.

Diary would just be a different sort-order/view-mode for the Watched/Rated page, in which all films appear in two blocks: first the ones with watched date, as it's now; then and the ones without watch date.

Simplification of the mental model for the win.

• Ricardo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for your comments! As an iOS developer with interest in UX, I'm very much looking forward to the native apps. Keep the great work up!

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base