General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Movie Posters

Hi, I know this has been mentioned before but I'd really like to make a point about the movie posters.

I read about the website's preference for simplified, cleaner versions, keeping only the name of the film and dropping all the remaining information that composes a movie poster. I was wondering why people keep uploading such versions at TMDB and, searching through this board, I found out that the reason is that these versions work better at smaller sizes.

It may be a good point but it still bothers me so much because those simplified versions feel like a scar…

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We generally prefer original, theatrical posters (or simplifications thereof) over DVD covers, but we are a small team and we don’t review every film entry regularly to check this is the case—sometimes such a file isn’t available. (If it is, we may have chosen a Criterion cover because it was more immediately recognizable for the film.)

We feel that cleaner versions of posters work better at the small sizes we often exhibit them at. We respect your right to disagree, but we don’t plan to change this approach.

It’s possible we’ll one day allow Pro members to choose their preferred poster, but that’s not high on our priority list at present.

2. Allow list owners to sort to a list prior to saving

I have a list of over 400 films that I'd like to keep sorted. Dragging and dropping is not a feasible method for a list of this size. I'd like to be able to sort the list by name, either manually (e.g. by clicking a 'sort now' button), or automatically (select a default sort order for when the list is displayed).

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add a distinction between feature films, tv shows and maybe others types of media (short films, mini tv series, etc.).

It doesn't need to be something big like having a different page layout for movies and series. It's just that if I enter a page of a tv series that I don't know, I confuse it for a movie. A simple one or two words description like "feature film"/"tv series" next to the title or somewhere on the page would be enough.

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Website  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. iOS app: iPad optimized layouts

The ios app is nice and all, but I have an iPad and phone apps on iPad are just awful.

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. PLEASE fix the unsynced date problem with reviews!

It makes ZERO sense that one can log a watched film by a specific date but yet the text box itself seems to have its own separate, invisible / hidden & thus ~uneditable date.. when really the logs should be the ONLY date valid!

Because for purposes of backdating things, it would be very useful to visit the "Year-in-Review" stats pages or the "Reviews" section & see all the text logs for any year simply by sorting. Except that isn't possible.. instead:

"0 REVIEWS" shows on the Stats pages. (false info!)
    "You haven't written any reviews during YEAR." (lies)
    ie:…

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Website  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Show writers (and producers/cinematographers/composers) credit on film page

Simple enough: screenwriters should have a place on each film's main page, don't ya think?

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Perform bulk actions (like mark watched or add to list) for all films in a page/list/collection/etc

For example currently trying to make a "Movies I saw in 2012" list and have to add each film seperately. Would like to be able to go into my movies and select multiple items at a time.

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adding all visible films on a page to a list is now available as a Patron feature on our website. The option shows in the sidebar or (on pages without a sidebar) it can be found in the disclosure arrow menu on the “+ Log” button.

8. Auto-post new content to FB & Twitter

I would love to notify either my FB or my Twitter whenever I add a film to my watched list.

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

FB auto-posting is supported natively (see Settings → Connections).

Until we support Twitter natively, you can auto-post from your profile RSS feed by using IFTTT.com (search IFTTT.com’s site for Letterboxd → Twitter recipes).

9. Option to change colors of the site

Love the site, but not a big fan of the white text on black background. Getting crazy eyes after reading for some minutes.
    Would love an option to change the colors of the site to for example black text on white background.
    Cheers!

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Internationalise movie titles (in other languages)

While it is already commendable that a search for the original movie title will show the correct movie, this can be expanded upon: Integrate all the various titles of movies in the different languages or countries.
    I personally have no problem using this english website, but for many movies, regardless of if I watched them on TV or in cinemas, I only know the title in my natural tongue. And often enough this translated title is not directly connected or even translated from the original title. I surmise this to be the case in other languages, too.
    To prevent the…

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Implement the ability to sort a user's films by "most rewatched".

The ability to sort a user's films by "most rewatched" would permit people to learn more about their friends's movie watching habits as well as their own.

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Homepage would tell you watched exactly a year ago.

I think it would be really interesting if on the homepage somewhere, the site would tell you (if you use the diary function) exactly what movies you watched a year ago.

I always find it so crazy when I look back a whole year ago and see what I watched on that day, and I typically think "oh my god, I watched THAT a year ago?" I don't know how many others would find that interesting, but I know I would.

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Justwatch.com integration for UK users.

As Gowatchit.com seemingly does have UK support, a Justwatch.com integration would be great.

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add MPAA Ratings!

Perhaps there's a good reason for you NOT to include film ratings next to each film, but I feel like it's important enough information that it should be included at least somewhere. I have to exit the app to find out if the movie is rated R or not... a bit strange?

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. tag multiple movies at once

if I come up with a tag that I haven't used yet, I want to be able to add the tag, then select all the movies I want to tag with that. Currently I have to go into each movie individually to add a tag. :(

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Statistics

Letterboxd is really about the pleasure to have a collection for me.
    So instead of just having a "passive" watched list, the website should be able to give something in return, to make the most of that exhaustively created listing.
    I'm thinking of creating a "statistics" tabs under your profile, with plenty of details, for which I can provide some ideas below:

-number of films (done)
    -most watched genre
    -most watched director
    -most watched actor
    -average year
    -most watched year (release)
    -average rating
    -combined runtime
    -average runtime
    -bar/graph with genres
    -bar/graph with dates
    -bar/graph with runtimes
    -bar/graph with languages/countries

I…

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Allow sorting of filtered search results

For example, if I perform a search for "underrated", then filter by Lists, I would like to be able to order the results to have (say) the most popular results come at the top. This would be a very useful function.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Find an alternative to TMDb

TMDb regularly gets in the way of my enjoyment of Letterboxd. My Watchlist is mostly made up of new releases. They’re added to my list when I see the trailer, which is usually in advance of their release. Nine times out of ten, TMDb doesn’t yet have the movie listed, which means I have to go through the somewhat laborious process of adding it myself, and then wait several hours for Letterboxd to be able to see it. (The same thing usually happens when I want to add a festival screening to my Film Diary.) Meanwhile, every piece of information…

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks Rob, really value this feedback. The key reason for choosing TMDb over IMDb was cost. The former is free, the latter charges a five-figure sum annually for use of its data by other apps. We haven’t ruled out switching, but as a bootstrapped project it wasn’t something we could take on from the outset.

As an aside, in the short term we plan to add a mechanism to allow instant import from TMDb by entering the ID of a new film. Until that happens feel free to drop a line to hello@letterboxd.com with any TMDb IDs you’d like imported and we’ll do them straight away. Not a perfect solution but hopefully might remove a little of the pain for you.

• Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base